Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with new Mobo/CPU/RAM Install

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 TommyRobz

TommyRobz

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hi guys, need a bit of help here is possible please, basically i've upgraded my motherboard, CPU and RAM and now after cold boots my AMD graphics driver crashes/the card is not found on startup. To remedy this i have to go into bios and tweak any random setting, restart, and i'm back running fine again, sometimes even just a normal restart is sufficient.

My specs are:

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon

i5-6600K

HyperX Fury Black DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) 1600Mhz

Arctic Cooler Freezer i30

Club 3D royalKing HD 7870

Samsung 840 120GB (OS) + 500GB Samsung HDD

be quiet! Pure Power 730W Hybrid Modular PSU

Windows 10 64-bit

Couple of weeks this has been going for now and i really am stumped, i've tried the obvious clean OS installs (windows 8 and windows 10), different bios firmware, have even contacted Club 3D about UEFI firmware for the card as i was reading something about this maybe being an issue with it being a UEFI motherboard.

I'd like to point out nothing is overclocked on the system as yet, wanted to wait until everything is running smoothly first. I did however try enabling X.M.P and it seems to freeze my system and then subsequently turn my screen off, maybe this is an issue on it's own or the 2 are linked...

Edited by TommyRobz, 01 April 2016 - 08:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

When I hear new MSI motherboard and issues, my first thought tends to go to motherboard... I've seen a lot of bad MSI boards...then again I know a lot of people that have had outstanding success with them, so maybe it's just me.

In any case, do you have another computer to test hardware out in, in particular your video card? And have you tried different drivers for it? (Old and new ones) to eliminate it being a driver related problem?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

Yeah unfortunately i've read a lot of responses about MSI boards recently too! I have tried different driver versions yes and all seem to give the same problems, fine until a cold boot.

I mean i could rebuild my old setup but i kinda know for a fact that the graphics card is fine as up until this rebuild it's been working perfectly for a couple of years now, never had anything like this happen.

Should also mention i have contacted MSI directly too and just waiting a response now, whether that will prove worthwhile or not we will see. I've already pointed out to them that their MB BIOS/Drivers version for this board on the UK site were completely different from the drivers on the US site! They have duly corrected this now.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:26 AM

Yeah, MSI isn't really all that great. Don't get me wrong they have actually made decent motherboards off and on but the company is lot known for reliability. If you can get a refund then that would be great and perhaps you could put forward a couple more bucks and get maybe a ASRock or Asus motherboard if budget is your issue

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:38 AM

I don't mind doing that at all don't get me wrong if that's my only option, obviously would be much less hassle if i didn't have to go down that route though. Guess this just shows how much online reviews mean then, picked this board as it had the features i wanted and most reviews i read (online shops and tech sites) were mostly positive.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:55 AM

Well to be fair everything averages itself out even bad products sometimes have good reviews from a few users here and there. Really you have to see for yourself sometimes as often negative reviews don't necessarily reflect the total quality of a product especially online where people are biased against certain products because they don't cost $900 or don't have a fancy sticker on them

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Madman is right, every brand does have bad apples, even the best have a 2-5% failure rate from the factory. Like I said I know people that swear by MSI, and honestly I have an 10 year old MSI board my brother gave me that is still functional. Just from what Ive seen though they perform well-just have lousy quality control.

As far as online reviews, unless they're professional I don't base my opinion to buy on how many good reviews or how many bad. I do read them, but what I look for are re occurring problems and the quality of customer support.

My guess is if all your existing components work fine it's one of the new ones, and my money is on the motherboard, based on the description of symptoms. Wait and see if MSI has any suggestions, but you may have to RMA it

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#8 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:21 PM

Looks as though that's the route i'm going to have to go down then, i'm looking at getting the ASUS Z170-PRO (not gaming) or there is the Sabertooth for a lot more but think that might be a bit overkill for me and actually in comparison doesn't seem to offer an awful lot more anyway. I'm open to suggestions though if anyone wants to throw some my way ;)

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 02:56 PM

How about this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128892

picard5.jpg

#10 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

I did look at that one but (and you're gonna hate me for this) i'm just not a fan of the green, wanted something just black or black/white so after much debate i've gone for the ASUS Z170-A over the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5. Will receive it tomorrow so fingers crossed hopefully i've made the right choice this time! Will report back no doubt either way :)

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, much appreciated!

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

Lol nothing to hate my friend it's your computer, if you don't like the color scheme well, your the one who has to live with it. ASUS makes just as high quality boards as gigabyte, I personally interchange between the two in my builds depending on design and what kind of deals I can get. If it's an basic computer with an full enclosed case I go with the cheapest between the two that will so what I need it to-if its a gaming rig with a side window well I take colors into consideration as well for the same reason you are-to make it look good. :-)

picard5.jpg

#12 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

Yeah exactly, it's just i have a windowed silverstone case with blue led fans so ideally a black/blue mobo would have been ideal but doesn't look like they even exist in the Z170 boards!

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 02:12 PM

if they did, they would be by ASUS, im running a ASUS board right now that has a blue/dark brown (looks black though) color scheme, in a windowed case with  mostly blue LED fans, but I have some other colors thrown in. but mines a much older board (890 chipset) 

picard5.jpg

#14 TommyRobz

TommyRobz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 03:57 PM

OK so this just took a strange turn.... so because amazon couldn't deliver the new mobo until tomorrow i decided on having 1 last troubleshooting attempt myself while i had a bit of time on my hands. I thought i would just rebuild it again just in case there was a small chance i missed something, i also while in the process cleared CMOS by removing the battery. I should note also the only things i didn't remove were the CPU/cooler and RAM.

This is where it gets strange, windows AND the BIOS are only recognizing 1 stick of RAM now where-as it's always been running on the full 16GB before. The other 'minor' issue is that the BIOS/windows clocks are wrong.

Got me worrying now maybe it was a faulty ram stick causing the graphics card issue...  :huh:

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2016 - 06:17 PM

Well, not necessarily, could just be another symptom, especially considering the clocks being wrong...way to find out is take the one stick that you know is working and change it out among the slots...if it works in all the slots while the other(s) don't work at all it might be the ram.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users