Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access USB external Drives

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 darkdragon212

darkdragon212

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:36 AM

Hi I recently upgraded my PC to windows 10 and every since have been unable to access any USB external drive. 

The laptop picks up the drives and acknowledges that they are there and working but they do not appear in file explorer. 

I have looked in disk management and the drives are there and healthy. 

The USB ports work 100% as i have plugged in keyboards etc to test and all the drives i've tried work with other computers. 

I've tried everything I could find on forums that have worked for other people. I've reinstalled windows twice. Ran various disk cleanup utilities, checked for hidden drives etc.

I need to upload video files to my laptop to edit for work, so need to resolve this ASAP :/

Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated!

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:22 AM

It sounds like maybe you don't have the drivers you need.  Have you checked Device Manager for ! or ? next to entries?  Laptops are different from desktops in that most of the parts are proprietary, so you should use only Windows 10 compatible drivers from the manufacturer.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,636 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:48 AM

In Disk Management, does the external drive have a drive letter assigned to it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users