Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install Windows Vista With No Access to CD-ROM & USB Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 YanAndrew

YanAndrew

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:47 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have an old laptop running Windows Vista with a faulty CD-ROM. It's badly infected with an extremely deadly virus - it will wipe out the contents of any USB connected to it, and plant itself in a System Volume Information (SVI) folder and render this SVI folder invisible and inaccessible.

I want to perform a clean install of the OS to remove it from the laptop, so I was wondering if there is a way I can perform the clean install within Windows Vista without relying on a DVD or a USB.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:30 AM

Maybe only if you have a Recovery Partition on the Hard Drive.

If not , remove the hard Drive from the laptop , slave it to another PC , and using any Linux Distro , i use old Version of Knoppix , burn the ISO of which ever version you use to a CD and then Boot from that on the PC.

Then just delete all Partitions on the Laptop Drive , save anything personal if needed at the same time.

Then Reinstall it to the Laptop and Boot from any Usb with your Version of Vista , and Product Key.

* Or replace the CDRom  ,fairly easy to do on most , remove a screw and slide it out.

Edited by Havachat, 01 April 2016 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users