Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 registry missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 dehoo

dehoo

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

Hello,

I have a windows 7 machine that we use every now and then, a recent item found that since about 03/2015 it has not been updating.  I ran many checks, re-register, Fix-its etc with not success.  It will either hang when checking for updates continually, or run and show that some items were fixed however there is still issues with the windows update reg either missing or corrupt.  I think the error code was 0x080070003.  I need some help with this as we would like to upgrade to windows 10 however it seems that this will not be accomplished with these problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:27 PM

Download and run the Windows Update Readiness Tool.

I would also download and run the following 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/949104

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 March 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#3 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:39 PM

Will do, I will advise when completed.

Thank you!

#4 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Standalone installer has been running for over an hour and is still searching for updates.....Should I cancel and try something else?

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:02 AM

I recently had to restore Windows 7 Pro from a year old backup.  Then I started Windows Update.  It ran 2 hours, 20 minutes!  There were 114 updates it found, FWIW.  This was a 32 bit system running in 2 GB.  Bottom line is that if you get behind with updates on Windows 7, Windows Update can take FOREVER to run.  It probably would've run in less time if this system had more RAM, but I've seen Vista take forever to run in 6 GB too. 

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 01 April 2016 - 11:03 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

I can verify that Windows Update seems to take an extremely long period of time to function properly.

My advice:  when you check for updates, be prepared for it to take a long time (and possibly need to be repeated).  Once updates are found, it will also take a seeming ly long time for those to all download...and then be installed.

Start the process, go do something else.  In time, hopefully it will finish.

Louis

#7 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

Well, it has been overnight and still running....In updates there is a list of numerous updates that have been installed and numerous that have failed from the past back to mainly early 2015. 

I cannot seem to find the registry key in the editor ) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate )   May this be a problem ?

I would like to upgrade to windows 10 on this machine however we tried a few days ago and it downloaded the upgrade and nothing happened.  I would have thought that it would have hopefully repaired the issue then, guess not.

So again, update has been running for well over 10 hours.  

Wait? next step?  

Thanks!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

I would reboot the computer and install this update. I thought I linked to it in my post. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

If that does not help after waiting no more than 2-3 hours do a sfc /scannow at a command prompt. This will check for missing or corrupt system files.

#9 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thank you, however this is also the stand alone installer that I tried above and ran for 10 + hours, should I just do a sfc scan at cmd prompt?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

Can you explain what you mean by stand alone installer? Are you talking about the Windows Update Readiness Tool or one of the other KB downloads I linked to? Or are you talking about doing a manual update.

Go ahead and run sfc /scannow.

Microsoft lets you do a clean install with the Windows 7 key but you would need to back up your data and reinstall all your programs.

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 April 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#11 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:12 PM

Hi,

When I opened your above link it opens and runs "Windows Update Standalone Installer"   KB3102810.    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

I will cancel out and run the sfc/scannow in cmd prompt.

Thanks

Edited by dehoo, 01 April 2016 - 05:31 PM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Windows Update changes it's installer mechanism periodically.  I had to install it first when I did my Win 7 clean install 2 days ago.  Before that, the search for updates would not complete.

Louis

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

Just to confirm, are you running Windows 7 SP1? Right Click Computer > Properties. Under Edition does it list the OS as SP1?

Edit: You ran the Update Readiness Tool, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 April 2016 - 05:59 PM.

#14 dehoo

dehoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:15 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

I completed the sfc/scannow and the results were:

Windows resource protection did not find and integrity violations.  In regards to your above post, Yes it is Windows 7 with SP1.

I have also run the reediness tool with no positive results

Hamluis, as for the clean installation, could I not just be able to install upgrade to 10 without the 7 clean install?

Laptop was purchased at LD and it was loaded with everything on it, where would I find the Key or is this also the product ID# ?

Thanks everyone!

Edited by dehoo, 01 April 2016 - 06:17 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:29 PM

I would recommend you backup your Activation files and key with Advanced Token Manager. Unzip the file to the desktop and run. The Activation files and key will be stored in the folder you unzipped ATM to. When you run ATM write down the key found and use it during the Windows 10 install. Save the unzipped folder and all subfolders to a flash drive.

You may need to install drivers from your OEMs site if Windows 10 does not have them.

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool with the key to install Windows 10. All your programs will be gone so back up any data on your computer. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 April 2016 - 06:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users