Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"insufficient Resources" And "you Don't Have Permission" Errors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 randyrayd

randyrayd

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:01 AM

This morning when I attempted to use my home computer, any application (IE, OE, everything) I tried to start gave an error message (paraphrasing) “Insufficient resources exist to complete the requested task.” I thought a reboot was in order and when attempting that got “you do not have permission to shut down this computer” or something similar.

After unplugging and rebooting everything seems normal, but I’m going to run AV, anti-spyware and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Event log shows an error at the same time “the server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty”. Server? I’m not networked to a server….I’m sure it means something else, but what?

Recent software changes: Deleting MS Antispyware due to inability to upgrade to their new Beta 2 Defender (something do to with GDI, which I tried to fix by following info on the MS site), and downloading some critical updates from MS.

I’ve done searches on the errors and the answers don’t apply. I’ll probably revert my HD with an application called GoBack if the scans don’t find anything but thought you people might know what caused this.

Win2K is my OS.

Thanks in advance,
Randall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:53 AM

Go to Start> Programs> Administrative Tools> Event Viewer. What, if anything, are the error messages? If GO BACK will take you back to before the problem it is worth a shot.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:52 AM

Hi, acklan. The only thing in my Event Log is posted above: "Event log shows an error at the same time “the server was unable to allocate from the system nonpaged pool because the pool was empty." And I'm not networked to a server. This is my home/biz computer.

This happened again this a.m. so I had to reboot (unplug) the computer, back up some date and when I tried to convert the oldest safe point was after I think this happened. I tried anyway, but it crashed and rebooted again. The attempt didn't revert my HD and now my safe point to recent for GoBack to do any good now so I'm really screwed.

rd

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

Try Start> Run> sfc /scannow You will need your Windows CD if it detects corrupted files.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:07 AM

I would run scandisk (checkdisk) and see if it finds anything. Set it to fix what it finds.

Reboot and to resolve your GDI problem:

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, follow these steps: 1. Download the Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...3c-be590feaa05a

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...3c-be590feaa05a

Important When you download the Ggdiplus_dnld.exe file, click Save, and then save the file to the desktop.
2. Double-click the Ggdiplus_dnld.exe file, and then click Yes to agree to the Microsoft Software License Terms.
3. When you are prompted, unzip all the files to the desktop. To do this, click Browse, double-click Desktop, and then click Unzip.
4. Manually copy the Gdiplus.dll file from the desktop to the %systemroot%\System32 folder. To do this, follow these steps: a. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
b. Click Desktop.
c. Right-click the Gdiplus.dll file, and then click Copy.
d. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\System32, and then click OK.
e. Click Edit, and then click Paste.

5. Try to install Windows Defender (Beta 2).

#6 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

Thanks Acklan and Enthusiast. For some reason the problem only replicated itself the next day. Nothing since then except a strange error about the RPC server is unavailable....but I'm not on a server. I got this computer for home from work and it was on a server there so maybe it's just confused LOL.

I ran SFC to fix errors auto. (Why do I have to type Start>Run>Cmd before running Command apps? Start>Run just shows the Command Screen [virtual DOS screen] for just a second then it goes away. Just curious.)

Enthusiast, I followed those instructions the first time and M$ Antispyware Beta 2 still wouldn't load. That's when my problem started (along with some critical updates). I'm running another Antispyware from my ISP so to heck with M$. I'm not trying again.

I do appreciate the replies from both of you.

Randall

Edited by randyrayd, 08 August 2006 - 11:42 AM.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:12 AM

Here are two Microsoft articcle that may help you. I have also included a link with a short explanation of what a RPC Server does.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q224370
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884564

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/R/RPC.html

#8 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Thanks, Acklan, but I'm on my home computer not networked with a server or domain. The second article is for XP and my OS is Win2k pro.

rd

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

XP was built on Win 2 k so a lot of what applies to XP also applies to W2K.

What I think your problem might be is something connected to remote desktop connection.

Click start/programs/accessories/communications

and see if it is listed.

Did you try Acklans link here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q224370

#10 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:13 PM

The only connection in communications is my wireless card for my home network.

The "don't have permission to...." is the message that really has me confused. Every article from searches indicates that's an error message for a server.

The "resources" thing I think I've fixed. It would indicate a memory drain so I looked at my CPU usage and it was spiking 40 to 70% every 7 to 10 seconds with no apps running so I started shutting down programs until it stopped and it seems my ISP anti-spyware was the culprit. I haven't had a problem since.

Although I'm still wondering about the "don't have permission", I think I'll try to fix the GDI problem pertaining to M$ anti-spyware and see what happens.

Although all my researches show nothing to indicate this, I think both error messages were somehow related to the memory drain problem.

Sometimes I not very fond of computers.

Thanks for your help.

rd

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

Did you set one of the computers to act as a dns server for your home network?

#12 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

No. I have no domain for my LAN.

FYI: Neither problem has manifested itself since deleting the Anit-spyware that was spiking my processor usage, probably causing the memory drain.

rd

#13 Dread Pirate John

Dread Pirate John

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 03:47 PM

No. I have no domain for my LAN.

FYI: Neither problem has manifested itself since deleting the Anit-spyware that was spiking my processor usage, probably causing the memory drain.

rd

It was definately causing a memory drain. The term Server in this error message actually indicates your home system (not something on your network). The error System Non Paged Pool is part of an applicaiton memory pool that Windows utilizes. Your runaway program was probably allocating memory and not returning it to the operating system.

The error message about not being allowed to shut the computer down, seems like Windows is just hosed and ran home to momma.

#14 randyrayd

randyrayd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

Welcome aboard, matey.....er Dread Pirate John.

I love the "ran home to momma" analogy. I hope you don't mind if I use it sometime.

rd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users