Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hijacking A Macbook In 60 Seconds Or Less

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

That's exactly what hackers Jon "Johnny Cache" Ellch and David Maynor plan to show today in their Black Hat presentation on hacking the low-level computer code that powers many internal and external wireless cards on the market today.By Brian Krebs | August 2, 2006; 7:30 AM ET While those device driver flaws are particular to the Macbook -- and presently not publicly disclosed -- Maynor said the two have found at least two similar flaws in device drivers for wireless cards either designed for or embedded in machines running the Windows OS. Still, the presenters said they ultimately decided to run the demo against a Mac due to what Maynor called the * "Mac user base aura of smugness on security." * Quote of the day... :-,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:50 PM

Just goes to prove that MAC is as vulneralbe as Windows but not targeted as much. If you stick to Windows just take more caution. Remeber just because it is a MAC dont mean it is going to be safe forever..
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

MAC might be "safer" that is exactely the word they aren't "SAFE". Anything can be hacked as long as the hacker puts his mind to it... All we can do is slow them down and make new ways of trying to stop them...

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:29 AM

This quote scares me a little:

Microsoft is trying to rectify that problem with Windows Vista -- the next version of its operating system by only allowing the installation of device drivers that have met the company's security testing procedures.

Don't creators of device drivers have to pay Microsoft in order to get tested and get signed by Microsoft? It sounds like the creation of another profit center for Micro$oft.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:55 AM

I agree Albert. Just a way to make things worse for all or us. M$ makes enough $ as it is no need for ne more. If I cant install a driver tht isnt signed by M$ then I am staying with XP and DOS on most of my systems.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:49 PM

MacBook Wi-Fi hack didn't use Apple drivers

By Jim Dalrymple

In early August a senior researcher at SecureWorks said he had revealed a vulnerability in Apple’s MacBook wireless software driver that would allow him to take control of the machine. While the researcher did find a vulnerability, he was using a third-party wireless driver, not the driver that ships with the MacBook.

“Despite SecureWorks being quoted saying the Mac is threatened by the exploit demonstrated at Black Hat, they have provided no evidence that in fact it is,” Apple Director of Mac PR, Lynn Fox, told Macworld. “To the contrary, the SecureWorks demonstration used a third party USB 802.11 device–not the 802.11 hardware in the Mac–a device which uses a different chip and different software drivers than those on the Mac. Further, SecureWorks has not shared or demonstrated any code in relation to the Black Hat-demonstrated exploit that is relevant to the hardware and software that we ship.”
http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/08/17/wi...shack/index.php

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 Gaming Guru

Gaming Guru

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, Windows is mainly a target because most of the people use it, but if Mac gets really really popular it'll be a giant target too.
CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core 1.6GHz Processor / 1GB RAM / Toshiba Satellite A100-VA3 / Windows Vista Home Premium

#8 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:46 PM

UPDATE

"SecureWorks admits to falsifying MacBook wireless hack"

And some comments at CoU too.

(Liars deserve a large L burned onto their heads around all points of the compass so we can see them coming, going, passing or just idling.)
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thanks Koan for the update. I have edited the the title appropriately.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users