Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying A Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kayla

kayla

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

computer specs:
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180

Memory (RAM): 1024 MB

CPU Info: mobile AMD Athlon™ XP-M 1400+

CPU Speed: 1201.0 MHz

Sound card: VIA AC'97 Audio (WAVE)

Display Adapters: RADEON 9200 SERIES | RADEON 9200 SERIES - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD

Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768 - 32 bit

Network: Network Present

Network Adapters: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

CD / DVD Drives: D: PIONEER 16X DVD-ROM | E: HP CD-Writer+ 9500

:

COM Ports: COM1

LPT Ports: LPT1

Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present

Hard Disks: C: 37.3GB | K: 114.5GB

Hard Disks - Free: C: 3.8GB | K: 97.7GB

USB Controllers: 4 host controllers.

Firewire (1394): Not Detected

PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed

Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.

Product Make: M825VXX

:

AC Power Status: OnLine

BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 02/11/04 | AMIINT - 10

Time Zone: Eastern Standard Time

Battery: No Battery

Motherboard: ECS M825VXX

Modem: Not detected

Hi, my computer is acting pretty crazy. it's crashing all the time and it can't even go into sleep mode without crashing. I was wondering if it could be because my low space on my main drive. I was wondering if there is a way I can make my k drive my main drive and have all my programs from my c drive trasnferred over. I guess mirror my drive. Is there a way I can do that and not loose all my stuff?
thanks in advance for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:51 AM

Hi kayla.
At this point, you're better off investigating the actual cause of the crashes and not going on speculation.
If the OS is corrupt or infected, you'll only be mirroring the problems x2. :thumbsup:
You are pushing the limits on the c: drive's capacity, which can cause problems, but you should start by cleaning it up first to see if that's even why.
Remove what you don't use often and can re-install.
Burn or transfer large image or multi-media files and delete the originals.
Dump your temp files, scan for viri and malware, do the scandisk\defrag thing, etc, etc.
BTW, how many drives and partitions do you have? I see you're all the way down to K: in the alphabet.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:24 PM

You still got 3.8 GB free on C:. It is a bit on the low end but I doubt it is what is causing your problems. It is more likely it is malware or driver conflicts or leftover pieces from software and drivers or file corruption or most likely a combination of all of the above.

I get the feeling the machine has been around for a few years. It is a radical solution but what I would do is back up any important files, format C: and reinstall the OS.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 kayla

kayla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:35 PM

no. I only have 2 hard drives. c and k. I just wanted it to not be in order. but I do have an e and an f drive ( cd and dvd rom).
my husband wanted to make a new main drive for me with my larger k drive but I have important stuff on these drives as I am an artist and my demos and stuff are all back up on my k drive. since my external 80gb hard drive did crash.

I have no idea what to do. I want to get a new mobo and a firegl graphics card but I get so confused and I really don't want to loose more information.

#5 kayla

kayla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:39 PM

ps. I have scanned for mal ware with my adware software this morning and it froze then ran through. I defragged and then norton'ed it. no virus. erased mal ware and I erase my temp files like everyday. *sigh*
when I try to animate it crashes and luckily I save often or I would alwasy be pissed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users