Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100gb Hdd Will Be Small Enough To Wear As Jewelry

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:01 AM

Seagate and Hitachi are now saying that in the near furure 100GB HDD's will be small enough to wear as jewelry! what do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 happy_soil

happy_soil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

That would mean a highly-engineered/crafted HD, and a more complex component to fix if it would break down. Btw, do you have any links for that article? Thanks in advance (am too tired to google for it :thumbsup: )

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

brooksey!!! I also would be interested in any links you could provide.

This is the only reference I can find, as I have reported here:
The Hard Disk That Changed The World

Quote taken from linked news article:

Meanwhile, drives with mere hundreds of gigabytes will be small enough to wear as jewelry. "You'll have with you every album and tune you've ever bought, every picture you've ever taken, every tax record," says Bill Healy, an executive at Hitachi, which acquired IBM's storage business in 2003.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14096484/site/newsweek/

As thought provoking as it is, it is a theory none the less.
Although that is not to say, that it wouldn't be possible in the not so distant future. ;)

Personally I would be awfully concerned about losing it.
Considering all the jewelry I have lost track of over time. :thumbsup:

Edited by Scarlett, 03 August 2006 - 09:32 PM.

Posted Image

#4 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

Holographic memory offers the possibility of storing 1 terabyte (TB) of data in a sugar-cube-sized crystal.

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/holograp...y.htm/printable

Seen this before. I hope it works out someday! :thumbsup:

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:17 PM

As cool as it would be, it just sounds so akward to talk about it. Like, almost my entire hard drive could be right next to my watch.

#6 buckthorn

buckthorn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:40 AM

a year ago 40gb HD is enough, but now i think we need 130gb for our internet cafe server. that's a huge disk space but not in the near future. i agree to the links above!!!

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:02 PM

"Honey, where did I put my hard drive?"

Honestly, the thought scares me. That I in an distracted moment could misplace a 100 GB worth of information.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:09 AM

I was able to find a couple of articles that mirror the one below, but nothing more current than 2004, I also would appreciate a link to this.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/17328-1/article.html

IBM Packs 1GB Into Stamp-Size Drive
Updated Microdrive can enhance storage in digital cameras, handhelds, and other portable units.
Gaea Zhou, PCWorld.com
Wednesday, June 21, 2000 12:00 AM PDT
Imagine stuffing 1000 novels onto a stamp-size hard disk. It's not a dream with IBM's updated Microdrive, which triples its capacity to 1GB.

The 1GB platter measures 0.2 inches by 1.4 inches by 1.7 inches, and weighs about half an ounce. In September, a travel kit including the Microdrive, PC Card adapter, and field case will be available priced at $499. IBM also offers a 512MB drive for $399 and a 340MB drive for $299 (down from $499 at its introduction in 1998).

As for the holographic disk, here a recent article which makes for interesting reading.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060804-7424.html

While a few consumers have dived headlong into the war over over HD-DVD Blu-ray HD-DVD I mean Blu-ray dang it, there are those of use who have elected to avoid that particular religious issue until we figure out which format is likely to offer the better afterlife. Should any real market success take long enough to occur, our procrastination may be rewarded with what could turn out to be the real next-gen optical media. Long-promised but rarely seen, commercially available holographic storage devices will become a reality before the end of the year, in the form of a system developed by InPhase Technologies and built by Hitachi Maxell.

Holographic storage has been Three-to-Five Years AwayTM for some time now. While we here at Ars may only have been talking about it for around 5x10-2 centuries, the idea was originally proposed at least as early as 1963 by Polaroid researcher Pieter J. Van Heerden. Lucent later did some work on the concept, then in 2001, the company spun off InPhase with the goal of developing a commercial application for the technology. In a nutshell, holographic storage increases density in an optical medium by storing the data in three dimensions instead of two.

How much greater data density? In the Hitachi Maxell device, a single disc about 1cm larger in diameter than a CD will buy you 300GB. By way of contrast, HD-DVD currently offers a maximum of 30GB on a 2-layer disc, and Blu-ray tops out at 50GB. Although upgrades are in the works that promise to increase the capacity of both of those formats, even the most pie-in-the-sky predictions fall short of what is planned for merely the first commercial generation of holographic storage. Future plans for that medium include boosting the capacity to 800GB in two years, and 1.6TB per disc by 2010.

Don't get too excited, though. First generation systems tend to be expensive—on the order of US$15,000 for the reader/writer and between US$120-$180 for the discs. Also, the media is write-once, meaning that the system will be targeted at enterprise users who need a high-density backup solution. Even then, IT departments may need assurances that the photopolymer medium will remain stable over time.

Still, the real money lies in coming up with a product that can be sold in the mass market. With that in mind, InPhase and Hitachi Maxell have been discussing what form a consumer version of the technology might take. One possibility that has been mentioned is a disc around the size of a postage stamp, which would probably hold about 75-100GB.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 04:18 PM

that was the link scarlet. it would be very annoying to have somthing that small. it would stand a better chance in the washing machine though because its flash memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users