Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

msconfig \ System Configuration changes freezes computer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 corrie90

corrie90

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

Hi

I noticed a similar thread posted here some time ago but it does not quite give me the answer to the problem I am experiencing

I have the very latest Build of Windows 10 Pro, but recently I have experienced problems with my PC’s general performance – I therefore decided to Run msconfig to then  uncheck some 3rd party programs under services within the System Configuration Hiding All window services first.

What is happening is that when I disable all and then go about checking the 3rd party progs one by one,  the 1st attempt to tick one of the programmes the system config freezes.  I have to then reboot the PC but the same thing happens if I try and attempt to do this again.

if I try the same thing but booting within Safe mode the PC does not freeze – so my question is .. can this action only be carried out in Safe mode ??

I have searched the internet for a few days now but cannot come up with an answer to this .. if you are supposed to be able to do this under normal windows start up then I have a big problem with my OS but if this is a procedure that can only be carried out within safe mode then all is well.

Thanks for reading this

Attached Files

• Attached File  Pic.jpg   61.71KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:34 PM

I've never used the procedure you mention but this is what comes to mind.

Maybe Safe Mode procedure doesn't freeze because there aren't dependencies involved as it starts up with only what's needed to start, no items need to be disabled after the fact of having been enabled.. 

In normal mode even though you have disabled all, there might still be some underlying dependencies involved.

Naturally if someone does know the answer you are looking for, I'll be interested also.

#3 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

This occur with really infected machines or really messy old drivers.

Try to start only "Safe Boot" without network and under Safemode disable the services different than Microsoft.

Cheers,
Andy 

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:15 AM

It's a good time now to know what are the issues to address on your computer?

#5 corrie90

corrie90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:20 AM

Yes that worked without freezing my PC. Thanks for that advice.

I am very careful with my machines ( all on my network ) I regularly scan for malware I use Malwarebytes, along with 360 Total Security as my Anti-virus check .

Because I use 3rd party scanning programmes the resident windows defender has been self-disabled .. I have never worked out if WD is better than Malwarebytes ( I use the free version )

It could also mean that I have infected machines I have recently gone over to Win 10 on my network but I have over the years collected some very useful win32 applications that clearly use old drivers. I suppose that could be the answer to the issues I face ? well I certainly hope it’s the old drivers rather than an infected machine which could have also infected my network machines.

#6 corrie90

corrie90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:37 AM

It's a good time now to know what are the issues to address on your computer?

Good morning

The only other issue I face with the very same machine is that it will not complete a scan of my registry if I am looking for a particular key, After a few "finds" it will report that it’s still searching but I know that it cannot be searching due to the length of time so when I hit cancel the reg editor reports a problem with the editor and restarts.

The build is v1511 (OS Build 10586.164) ... I have extensively searched out this problem and noticed other users experiencing the same problem but nobody has yet found a solution.

Some suggest rolling back to an earlier build but that will also take your OS back to an earlier build .. I had Microsoft Support remote to my machine a few days ago which I appreciated as the agent spent hours on my machine,but that is where I discovered the msconfig problem. We had to abandon the help in the end as it was going nowhere – which is why I am now trying this forum.

Edited by corrie90, 01 April 2016 - 05:55 AM.

#7 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:56 AM

“recently I have experienced problems with my PC’s general performance”

“I have over the years collected some very useful win32 applications that clearly use old drivers”

--- That can be part of the problem

--- Have you been able to determine whether or not those old drivers cannot be updated for your Windows 10 or maybe going through a compatibility procedure?

--- Can you give us an example of one of those win32 applications”

“The only other issue I face with the very same machine is that it will not complete a scan of my registry”

“After a few "finds" it will report that it’s still searching but I know that it cannot be searching due to the length of time”

I have seen that also but in each case I let it keep on searching for as long as it takes to complete even when I left the computer and did other things in the meantime

“Some suggest rolling back to an earlier build but that will also take your OS back to an earlier build”

--- I wouldn’t recommend that

“The build is v1511 (OS Build 10586.164)”

--- This came out on March 8.

--- See if Aprils updates help somehow

--- Win10 is still a work in progress

“if I try the same thing but booting within Safe mode the PC does not freeze – so my question is .. can this action only be carried out in Safe mode ??”

“I had Microsoft Support remote to my machine a few days ago which I appreciated as the agent spent hours on my machine,but that is where I discovered the msconfig problem.”

--- It wouldn't surprise me if msconfig is the problem but a symptom of your problems

--- Have you determined whether or not you can use the msconfig procedure in Normal Mode since post 5?

--- Also instead of going through the msconfig procedure to sort out the applicable services you want to test, consider sorting them out in services itself (services.msc), one at a time please.

#8 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:01 PM

How exactly are you using msconfig on windows 10? Am I missing something here? "It's build into the task manager as far as I know..

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

"How exactly are you using msconfig on windows 10? Am I missing something here? "It's build into the task manager as far as I know.."

You are correct if you want to check startups but it is possible to select the services tab.

#10 corrie90

corrie90
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:09 PM

Well make sense of this – pretty straight forward I think.

The win32 driver issue I shall flag up one example in that I have a very stable Scan Device HP 5300C I have had it for more years than I can remember, I started getting into heavy search mode when Win 7 came out as no drivers are written for this Scanner. But somebody produced a fix and that worked, and then Win 10 came along so I had to go hunting again and I found another driver for this current OS .. also taking into account that I have compatibility diagnosis available.

Re the msconfig – I have an old XP setup so I tried deselecting a stopped service I re-booted and then deselected a running service and rebooted, the XP took that in its stride – it did not freeze at all. and that was done in Normal Mode.

So I have just tried the same on the problem Win 10  machine and to my surprise it took the action in its stride, no freezes at all,  I am not at all sure what has made this machine behave itself now. What I did change before the experiment was to uninstall Spybot which I never really used

It is correct to point out that msconfig’s build is within the Task Manager and of course I have the option to start or stop programmes via services.msc, sometimes servers don’t run when you expect them too so that’s a method I often use.

It now looks like all I need to do is wait for Microsoft to sort out the regedit build 1511 (OS Build 10586.164) and for now at least I think all is OK, but as we all know you are never far away from another issue especially with Microsoft.

Edited by corrie90, 01 April 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 03:23 PM

Thanks corrie90, it's good to know all is OK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users