Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandboxie

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:34 AM

Recently, I stubbled upon a tool called Sandboxie. From what it claims to do and some user imput, it appears that this tool will be able to successfully open a web browser in a virtual prison, so when you're done using the web browser, you just close it and then exit out of sandboxie closing both the virtual cage and the "demon" inside of it.
In theory, this program's method should work and effectively keep malware from entering your system; however, my question is Sandboxie powerful enough to make it work?

Also, I've decided to help PIRT over at CC a little by submitting my loads of junk phishing spam. In order to submit it to PIRT however, I need to open the email and then extract the useful content out of it. So, here's my second question: Will opening an email in Gmail but not downloading or clicking on any of the links (in Sandboxed Firefox) be able to infect me? Supposeably, ZA Free and AVG Free have already scanned this (maybe I'm wrong?), so it should be clean anyway.

Summary:
1. Is Sandboxie powerful enough to contain create a virtual prison around a web browser so that malware will not be able to affect your system.
2. Can opening an phishing email in Gmail let malware breach into your system?

I'm assuming the answer to my second question is yes considering the Yahoo worm a month or so ago; however, is there any known malware for Gmail that has such power?
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neonknight77

Neonknight77

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:34 PM

For number 2, a anti virus can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic