Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Place non-Windows 10 Programs on Another HD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 imjc

imjc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:15 PM

Is it okay to put programs that are not pre-loaded in the Windows 10 install on another internal hard drive? I ask because my main drive is a 250 GB SSD. I have a custom built tower with 5 other drives. My thought is I could put other programs on another drive to save space on my main drive and to reserve it for only Windows 10 stuff. 

Thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:38 PM

That is perfectly fine to do yes. I would keep any programs you use the most (or are more important to you) on the SSD as it will be quicker than a standard spinning drive.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

Yes, it's actually recommended as you don't want to bloat your SSD with programs that do not need to be installed on it. The easiest way to proceed in my opinion, is to create two folders at the root of the drive where you want to install your programs:

Program Files (x86)
Program Files

Once done, when you install a program, you simply change the drive letter for the one of the drive where you want to install the program, like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple
D:\Program Files (x86)\Apple

This way, all your programs will stay organized the same way and it'll be much, much easier to manage them. Be aware that some programs needs to be installed on the C: drive (where Windows is) in order to function properly however. You'll want to keep your security software on the C: drive as well for ease of access.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Once done, when you install a program, you simply change the drive letter for the one of the drive where you want to install the program, like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Apple
D:\Program Files (x86)\Apple

Great idea Aura! I honestly have no idea why I have never done anything like that...

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:46 PM

Honestly, that method is way safer/easier than the Registry tweak one, because some programs don't like that tweak and it messes up the system completely.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 imjc

imjc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:11 PM

Thank you very much. Great advice!

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,673 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:49 PM

No problem imjc, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users