Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Soak mechanical keyboard in water?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trandhal

trandhal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:51 PM

Afternoon gentlemen,

I have a Func KB-460 MX Red mechanical keyboard for my PC. A while ago I manage to spill some beer on top of it. I immediately tried to get most of it out by shaking it and wiping it off.

The keyboard works as it should, except that all the backlights for the keys don't light up anymore.

My guess it that some circuit got covered in sticky beer.

Today I decided to try to fix this by pulling it apart and see if I couldn't find the problem on my own. Turns out there are alot more hidden wires and stuff inside a keyboard than I thought.

When I tried to google the problem most people suggest that you submerge the entire thing (disconnected from any power source of course) in clean water, and then let it dry off for a couple of days.

Is this really a thing? I always thought that water+electrical wires equals disaster?

So, anyone who knows more about this kind of stuff, would that potentially clear any residue beer and make things work again, or will I just be left with a 60$ piece of useless junk?

Or is there any other way to get the lights to work again? Maybe there is just one specific wire/circuit that controls the whole "light" thing which I need to check?

Cheers :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

Maybe try Alcohol and a blower (hair dryer on Cool)

just a guess
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:17 PM

I use a three step method.  First, a mild detergent, like dish soap, a short bristle acid brush and clean the entire unit.  Second, rinse with clear water.  Third, using a non-residue, electronic cleaner, spray everything down and let dry for four hours.  Beer isn't as bad as soda or coffee with cream and sugar but it will attract dust.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:38 PM

I have cleaned two mechanical keyboards (more than once) by running them through a dishwasher - top shelf, water only, no detergent.

Make sure you dry it thoroughly in direct sunlight for a few days.

No guarantees, YMMV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users