Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail 2011 Does NOT work!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:54 AM

Hello everyone,

Whenever I click on an email link to send someone an email my computer tries to open Windows Live Email, but I always get an Error message.  I tried to copy and paste it, but I was unable to so. So I saved a screenshot of it and will include it.   This has been going on for years!! I had tried contacting Windows about it, but nothing worked. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling like they suggested, that did not work!  I tried different settings on my computer for Default programs, that did not work!  Even the previous version of Windows Live Mail Did the same thing!! So it was recommended I install Windows Live Mail 2011, But I encountered the same problems!!  When I contacted windows about it I was basically told: "either do not use it, turn it off, or uninstall it" I tried to uninstall it, but that would mean uninstalling Vista and then Reinstalling Vista or doing a couple other things that I forget because it has been so long ago.

I have tried to set one of my email accounts to load up when I click on an email link, but that has not worked! It just reverts back to the Windows Live Mail and I still get an error message.

Does anyone have any clue on how I can fix this?

Attached File  Windows Live Mail Error.jpg   216.72KB   0 downloads

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2016 - 01:35 PM.
nm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

(I saw the image in the duplicate thread)
it looks like you are using firefox in that screenshot... Are you sure that was the screenshot you intended to attach?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:27 PM

Sorry about the Duplicate Post/thread. The window/tab closed on me when I posted and I thought it did not post properly so I clicked "Post" again. I was not sure if it was "Double Posted" or not. I was going to make a note in the post, but got busy and forgot! LOL

Yes, I use Firefox as my main Web-browser. I used to use Internet Explorer but had experienced so many problems at one point I had to change to a different web-browser. If I remember correctly, the same thing happened with Internet Explorer. I can try it again using Internet explorer if you want me to.

#4 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:35 PM

I tried using Internet Explorer and got the same result!! Same error message! Here is the screenshot I took:

Attached File  Windows Live Mail Error 2 IE.jpg   205.13KB   0 downloads

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Are both browsers the latest version?

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:54 PM

Suggestion:
1) Uninstall Windows Live Mail.
2) Download Thunderbird.

3) Install Thunderbird. Configure Thunderbird to work with your email account. During the install process if asked if you want to make Thunderbird the default email client, say yes.

4) After you set up Thunderbird, try sending the email

#7 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:55 PM

Yes, both Browsers are current.

As for email accounts I use, I use: Aol, 2 Yahoo, and Hotmail. Do not know if that matters or not.

#8 JacobVR

JacobVR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:09 PM

I had the same issue. Just yesterday I talked about how bad the new Windows mail app are working and calling it garbage app and also expressing concern that Windows Live Mail might stop working soon. And what happens? Microsoft today sends me an e-mail encouraging me to update my WLM client due to changes happening in a few weeks making the app not functioning if I do not update it. But Microsoft's recommendation for the Windows 10 Experience was for me to just start using the mail app (I would if it actually worked just as good as WLM, but as it stands it just sucks badly!). Surely this must be a conspiracy by Microsoft? Anyway I removed WLM from my computer and re installed it without the update but after that I still had issues it would just hang with high CPU usage and fade out after the calendar was synced and it was time to update the e-mail. But now it suddenly works for me again after I have installed the latest updates from Windows Update that was pending in my Windows Update. I do not know if there is any correlation between those updates and WLM staring to work again. Perhaps you can try and see if you have any updates pending and if it will make WLM work for you too when you install them. I will just use my Windows Live mail the way it is until it stops working then I will once again attempt to install that update and see if it works then. Perhaps that update involves changing the update server and that server is not yet operational. Microsoft encourages you to save that e-mail from Outlook for later use. So that makes me think (or hope) that this update is for later use and should only be applied once WLM stops functioning. But if that is the case I wonder why that are not clear about that in the e-mail? If this theory is not correct and this patch will make Windows Live mail stop functioning even after a few weeks when apparently none patched versions will cease functioning with Outlook/Hotmail then I will call it a conspiracy to force you to use that horrible Mail app!

#9 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:25 PM

I will repeat Queen-Evie's suggestion to use Thunderbird for a few reasons:

1) It's fast

2) It's secure

3) It's powerful, and

4) It's made by the same great people that make firefox, one of my favorite browsers.

#10 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:37 PM

I just rechecked Internet Explorer and I have Internet Explorer 9, as far as being updated I believe it is updated. I download and install all updates when they show up in Windows Updater. I rarely use Internet Explorer because I have had problems with it in the past so I switched to using Firefox and Google Chrome. 

Windows Live Mail has really never worked except when I first got my computer! It worked the first couple times I used it then suddenly it stopped working and then gave me those errors! So something in the programing is completely messed up, The Programing got "messed up" during install, or when I had problems with virus, malware infection right after I got the computer, that ended up messing up the WLM programing and caused some permanent damage to the programing. But that still does not explain why it did not work after a complete new Install of WLM after Uninstalling the previous version of WLM and cleaning the computer of the infection.  SO wouldn't that indicate something in the programing of WLM or on Microsoft's end in the design and programing of WLM? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users