Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Apples to oranges comparison

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

My Apples and Oranges post.

I am going to try to make this a synopsis of my findings but at times may need to provide back ground information.

The first thing I discovered was my poor PC and printer had been trying to tell me from the git-go that it did not have enough Horse Power to actually run a modern OS.

Why I ignored the warnings I can not say. Maybe because it was so gradual and exhibited the same symptoms as malware or system corruption. Or I am just too hard headed. Lol

In my defense I did not even know Win 8 or 8.1 even existed and certainly did not know that 10 was even coming out. To be honest in the store there were only 5 computers that were not Vista or Win 7. at the time of my purchase.

To shorten this up I had more issues getting this PC and printer to work with windows 10 than linux.

Instead of having the membership try to read 900 some odd posts. I will summarize.

When win 10 was first installed the PC and the printer both worked ok.

However the longer I used it the more issues developed. Longer duration I also installed more stuff putting more strain on a marginal CPU the more strain the worse performance.

A funny thing I did find is even a .2 Ghz bigger can make a lot of difference. Several members trying to help me had nearly the same PC resource wise yet did not have the problems I did with win10.

I suspect I have somehow damaged the CPU.

Even running Linux which uses nowhere near the resources as win 10 the CPU is often at 90% or better. Breaking it down by hardware I had more than enough ram and HDD it was just the CPU that couldn't cut the mustard.

I think I will close this out know, things have shown that my printer issues are more command and control from the PC. The printer itself works fine when run from the console on the printer itself no matter which OS I am using.

Thank you for reading and your indulgance. I welcome any comments.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

No Apple is apples, windows is oranges, and Linux is a fruit punch of some sort :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

I don't know which were the Apples and which were the oranges. I read the entire post and I did not read any comparisons, but I am glad that you have your system figured out now. It certainly is a fun hobby.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 31 March 2016 - 12:02 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:04 PM

No Apple is apples, windows is oranges, and Linux is a fruit punch of some sort :D

I think he was comparing hardware, not operating systems. But anyway, I'm sure glad that he got his system the way he wants it. It is always fun when your system is tuned in.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

true, I love that feeling thus why I build my own.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,918 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:17 PM

This is my first self-built computer and I love it when I get it dialed in.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

My appologies my attempt to finish this up made an even bigger botch of the intended subject.

Everytime I rewrote it it was turning into an even bigger novel.  A novelist I will never make LOL

Basically the only real thing I discoverd is I need a newer more powerfull PC.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:26 PM

My Apples and Oranges post.

I suspect I have somehow damaged the CPU.

Here is a quote from http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-E-Series-E1-2100-Notebook-Processor.92894.0.html#

"The AMD E1-2100 is a mobile dual-core SoC for low-end subnotebooks and netbooks, which was presented in mid-2013. In addition to 2 CPU cores with a base clock speed of 1.0 GHz (no turbo), the 28-nanometer chip also integrates a Radeon HD 8210 GPU, a single-channel DDR3L-1333 memory controller as well as the Southbridge with various I/O- ports."

"Due to the low clock speed of just 1.0 GHz, the performance is quite modest and similar to the old AMD C-60. For simple office and multimedia tasks, the E1-2100 has sufficient power; however, it will quickly reach its limits in more demanding applications and games."

"The SoC integrates a Radeon HD 8210 GPU with 128 shaders, which is based on the GCN architecture. The core is clocked at 300 MHz (no turbo). On average, the HD 8210 matches the Intel HD Graphics (Ivy Bridge). However, the performance is often limited by the CPU. Recent Games (as of 2013) are therefore hardly playable. Only a few older and less demanding games will run fluently."

Maybe no damage and just not up to the Task of running a heavy distro.  Cinnamon is going to run a little harder on Graphics than say Mate or Xfce.  You could boot up Xfce and giver er a test drive.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:15 AM

@dannyboy950:

Seriously, I find your Topics quite uplifting mate, as I do with all of "the new breed" of Linux users and triers - jargos from Sydney, Rocky Bennett from New Mexico, and on and on.

I agree mostly with friend punk, as I often do - Cinnamon is Mint's flagship, so popular that it was adopted by a number of other Distros, but where it is like a battleship or aircraft carrier, DE's like Mate, Xfce &c are cruisers. Don't get me wrong, I love LM Cinnamon, just as punk loves his LM KDE, but I entered Mint on Mate, still use it, still love it, and like Mate so much, I re-embraced Ubuntu when they put out a Mate with their 15.10. Lightweight? Yes on resources, but still pack a punch.

Your 1GHz CPU may seem a liability, and it makes that config of yours very unusual, if I were the manufacturer, I would have dropped in a 1.6 - but then we have recently found that someone did some funny business with your graphics card, so who can tell? But the inxi figures don't lie.

I've done a little googling, now know Port Arthur's population may be 54 to 55,000? and that you are not far east from Houston.

Google up "linux user groups texas", as I have, and there are a number of "LUGs" in your state, one or more of whom may be able to help you with hardware, including a CPU.

Final couple of ideas I'll throw at you:

Wikipedia - bless them - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

... will give you a broad look at less-intensive alternatives under Linux

and

for any Linux Distro you might consider trying Live with perhaps a view to install, Google up its name and version with "system specs", or "system requirements", then you can see if you are in the ballpark.

Your computer, Mate, but don't ditch it while it still works, lol.

:wizardball: Wizard

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:02 AM

No I will not ditch it but I am not sure I will be able to depend on it.  Since you guys turned me on to top I see I am useing 98% cpu just looking at bleeping computers page.  Nothing else open or running other than top.

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:56 AM

What tool are you using to measure CPU usage?

Are you using Linux Mint System Monitor?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562089/linux-mint-system-monitor-versus-conky/

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:20 AM

No I will not ditch it but I am not sure I will be able to depend on it.  Since you guys turned me on to top I see I am useing 98% cpu just looking at bleeping computers page.  Nothing else open or running other than top.

Make sure you look more closely. Top reports on idle percentage (typically), not used percentage. So if you were using 98% cpu usage, top would actually say 2% idle. If it says 98% then you are only using 2%.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#13 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

Thank you I will have to be more carefull, I checked top again this morning and my readings were way lower.  I must have had something running I didn't notice.

I did get a screen shot of mints default system monitor.  I have not tried conky?

">http://PsejfHD.png

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Unlike Mint System Monitor, Conky doesn't use much in the way of system resources, but neither does top.

CPU usage also "jumps around" somewhat, and typically rises steeply when you open an application or click on a window etc. So it's important to let the computer settle down, i.e. by not touching anything for a few seconds, before reading CPU usage. Ideally, restart the computer and log in, then without doing anything else open top in a terminal, wait for a few seconds, then read CPU usage.

I would be surprised if it was more than a few %.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,229 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

Why don't you get the Proper Graphics Driver before more Diagnostics.

Won't hurt to show us the "Processes" tab also, or just tell us how many Processes are running to start with.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users