Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 krazyotto13

krazyotto13

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:43 AM

I have 2 PC's home networked together via ethernet cable. The Host Computer is running Windows XP Pro with a Cable Modem connected to it for my internet connection. I have 2 network cards installed in this PC. One is connected to the cable modem and the other is connected to my Client PC which is running Windows XP Home Edition.

Internet Explorer works fine on my Host PC which has the cable modem internet connection. The 2 PC's are networked and communicating with each other. I cannot get Internet Explorer (msn.com) to open on my client PC. When I double click on the Internet Explorer Icon on the desktop of the Client PC I get a message at the bottom of the screen that the web site has been found and then about 3 green progress bars pop up but it times out and Internet Explorer will not open.

I have had both of my PC's networked and sharing the internet connection for about 4 years. Now all of a sudden I cannot get the internet to open on the client pc. The only web page that will come up is if I set the default Internet Explorer Home Page to my cable company adelphia.net.

If I ping msn.com at the command prompt it times out. I have reinstalled Windows XP Home on my Client PC but that has not fixed the problem. All my network cards and cable connections are working fine. The problem has something to do with Internet Explorer (msn.com) being corrupt.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can repair Internet Explorer on the Client PC on my home network and get it to open up and work like it used to do? Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:04 AM

You keep saying Internet Explorer isn't working, does that mean another web browser does? I would try Mozilla's Firefox or something to see if that works. If it does go to microsoft.com and get the lastest version of Internet Explorer (that the computer can support) and install it. I seen a problem like this before and all I had to do was re install internet explorer and it worked fine.
You can't ping msn.com, but can you ping anything else? If you cant ping another site, it may be more than just your Internet explorer. Also, you could use "ipconfig /all" on the client computer and make sure it's reciving the information from the Host computer (assuming its using DHCP). Like the right gateway and a IP address that is in range of your settings. I hope some of that helps! If, not post anything new that arises (such as firefox or whatever also isn't working) and I or someone else might beable to help more :thumbsup:

EDIT: If another browser does work or you are sure its just the internet explorer that is not working go to microsoft website Internet Explorer section and download the matching one (depending if you have SP1 or 2) and transfer it to that computer and install it.

Edited by Seth_z, 04 August 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

It may be a case of your ISP not allowing 2 IP's at the same time all of a sudden, like Comcast did last year in our area without notice.

My suggestion is to "flip-flop" connections. Meaning try the PC that cannot use IE as the one that is connected first, and the one that is currently working as the "secondary" PC. Be sure that you shut everything off even the modem. Then turn on the modem first, wait for it to stabilize, then the "first" PC then the last PC.

If this test scenario works you will need to install a router to have 2 computers connected at the same time. If IE still does not work with the new "network" configuration, take a look at this link, for information on repairing IE.

Be (networking) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

I've had this problem with Comcast in the past. It seems to have to do with the MAC address that was registered.

I'd call your ISP and verify that they have the correct MAC address for your computer (this is actually the MAC address that's printed on the router). If they've only got the one on the PC - then only that PC will be able to connect (but if it's the router MAC address - then any computer using the router should be able to connect).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users