Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting all my gmail mail into my inbox

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

Ok, so I use gmail that is then downloaded into my Thunderbird (wish there were TB techies out there, but they are VERY hard to find).

I can't stand the division Gmail makes you go through with your mail & 90% of my mail is never seen b/c it gets divided into those other folders.

I thought I solved the problem when I went to settings ----)  Inbox -------) and then I unchecked all the checkboxes for social, promotions, updates, etc. but noooo, the mail is STILL ending up in those folders & I'm losing mail. I don't even know what updates stands for. Can someone explain that one to me?

Can someone PLEASE tell me how to solve this problem once & for all. I can't even move the mail into the Inbox. I have tried, & under the move button there's no option for inbox or primary, but I don't want to have to manually move it anyway. I even tried checking them all off & dragging it & that didn't work either.

Thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2016 - 09:18 AM.
moved from Tips and Tricks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:24 AM

I can't stand the division Gmail makes you go through with your mail & 90% of my mail is never seen b/c it gets divided into those other folders.

I thought I solved the problem when I went to settings ----)  Inbox -------) and then I unchecked all the checkboxes for social, promotions, updates, etc. but noooo, the mail is STILL ending up in those folders & I'm losing mail. I don't even know what updates stands for. Can someone explain that one to me?

The divisions you refer to are called inbox tabs. You can disable them easily. Log into Gmail from a web browser (I recommend the latest version of Chrome or Firefox). I know you've already tried turning them off by going to Settings > Inbox and unchecked them. Did you actually save the changes? If you did, the settings apply instantly. Alternatively, click Settings > Configure inbox and unselect all tabs except primary (inactive) then click Save. Your inbox should instantly reflect the changes. If nothing happens after clicking save, you may be using a script-blocking add-on or extension that's breaking Gmail's functionality.

#3 JosephPorter

JosephPorter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:49 AM

I have try this Settings > Configure inbox then i uncheck and leave the primary check. It work and all message are in my inbox now.

#4 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:27 PM

The divisions you refer to are called inbox tabs. You can disable them easily. Log into Gmail from a web browser (I recommend the latest version of Chrome or Firefox). I know you've already tried turning them off by going to Settings > Inbox and unchecked them. Did you actually save the changes? If you did, the settings apply instantly. Alternatively, click Settings > Configure inbox and unselect all tabs except primary (inactive) then click Save. Your inbox should instantly reflect the changes. If nothing happens after clicking save, you may be using a script-blocking add-on or extension that's breaking Gmail's functionality.

Sorry for the delay.

Ok, I believe I must have pressed save, otherwise those checkboxes would still be next to the other folders.

I went into your 2nd option & sure enough, only primary is checked off.

So a couple of things:

1. The reason I thought it didn't work, is b/c I didn't get an e-mail in TB that I was waiting for. I found it in the updates folder. I had to resend the e-mail & then I got it the 2nd time.

2. I just went back into those other folders which have HUGE numbers of e-mail in them & to the right of the sender it says "Inbox" all in grey. I assume that means it's telling me they all went to the inbox, so why are they still in those folders?

And why did that e-mail that triggered me that there was a problem, not come through to TB or I'm pretty sure, the inbox in gmail?

Thanks 

#5 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 02:39 AM

Sorry for the delay.

Ok, I believe I must have pressed save, otherwise those checkboxes would still be next to the other folders.

So a couple of things:

1. The reason I thought it didn't work, is b/c I didn't get an e-mail in TB that I was waiting for. I found it in the updates folder. I had to resend the e-mail & then I got it the 2nd time.

2. I just went back into those other folders which have HUGE numbers of e-mail in them & to the right of the sender it says "Inbox" all in grey. I assume that means it's telling me they all went to the inbox, so why are they still in those folders?

And why did that e-mail that triggered me that there was a problem, not come through to TB or I'm pretty sure, the inbox in gmail?

Thanks 

Thunderbird may have already downloaded that email (or its header, depending on Thunderbird's synchronization settings) and you just didn't see it. I don't think you understand how the Gmail inbox tabs work or what they are. They are not folders/labels into which your emails are put. They are just smart views applied to your inbox. All non-junk/non-spam emails that you receive are still stored in your inbox, whether you turn on the inbox tabs or not. The tabs do not affect where your emails are stored, they only affect how they are displayed in your inbox (in Gmail's web interface). Thunderbird or any other email client will download all those messages into one inbox, whether inbox tabs are turned on or not.

There is another feature of Gmail that's very similar to the inbox tabs and can be quite confusing if you don't differentiate them. They are called categories and they too are not folders into which your received emails are stored. They are just smart groups into which all your inbox messages are categorized for viewing purposes and not storage purposes. There is a category that matches each inbox tab (except for the primary tab), so these categories and inbox tabs work together such that each inbox tab displays the emails grouped in the corresponding category. For example, the Updates tab (if enabled) will display emails that are in the Updates category. If you disable inbox tabs (like you did), the categories are not affected and remain visible in the left panel of the Gmail web interface, so that you can still view messages in the individual categories even after inbox tabs are turned off. This is why you thought turning off the inbox tabs did not work. It worked alright, but the categories are still listed in the labels list on the left panel, unless you hide the categories so that they are not shown in the labels list.

Remember, the inbox tabs and their corresponding categories are not folders into which your emails are stored. The inbox tabs are simply views while the categories are simply groups into which your inbox emails are filtered, for viewing purposes. If you want all inbox messages displayed in one (primary) tab, you turn off the inbox tabs. If you want the categories to be hidden from the left panel, you hide them (Go to Settings -> Labels -> Categories, in the Show in label list column, choose hide next to each individual category or choose hide next to Categories to hide them all). Email clients do not care about the inbox tabs or categories, they'll download all inbox messages into one inbox.

#6 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

Sorry for the delay.

So a couple of things:

Thanks 

Thunderbird may have already downloaded that email (or its header, depending on Thunderbird's synchronization settings) and you just didn't see it. I don't think you understand how the Gmail inbox tabs work or what they are. They are not folders/labels into which your emails are put. They are just smart views applied to your inbox. All non-junk/non-spam emails that you receive are still stored in your inbox, whether you turn on the inbox tabs or not. The tabs do not affect where your emails are stored, they only affect how they are displayed in your inbox (in Gmail's web interface). Thunderbird or any other email client will download all those messages into one inbox, whether inbox tabs are turned on or not.

There is another feature of Gmail that's very similar to the inbox tabs and can be quite confusing if you don't differentiate them. They are called categories and they too are not folders into which your received emails are stored. They are just smart groups into which all your inbox messages are categorized for viewing purposes and not storage purposes. There is a category that matches each inbox tab (except for the primary tab), so these categories and inbox tabs work together such that each inbox tab displays the emails grouped in the corresponding category. For example, the Updates tab (if enabled) will display emails that are in the Updates category. If you disable inbox tabs (like you did), the categories are not affected and remain visible in the left panel of the Gmail web interface, so that you can still view messages in the individual categories even after inbox tabs are turned off. This is why you thought turning off the inbox tabs did not work. It worked alright, but the categories are still listed in the labels list on the left panel, unless you hide the categories so that they are not shown in the labels list.

Remember, the inbox tabs and their corresponding categories are not folders into which your emails are stored. The inbox tabs are simply views while the categories are simply groups into which your inbox emails are filtered, for viewing purposes. If you want all inbox messages displayed in one (primary) tab, you turn off the inbox tabs. If you want the categories to be hidden from the left panel, you hide them (Go to Settings -> Labels -> Categories, in the Show in label list column, choose hide next to each individual category or choose hide next to Categories to hide them all). Email clients do not care about the inbox tabs or categories, they'll download all inbox messages into one inbox.

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

The reason I thought they were folders, is b/c the mail wasn't being DLed into my TB & no, I did a search for that missing e-mail, it wasn't in my TB.

Normally it would be in the spam folder if it wasn't DLed, but it wasn't there.

Another reason I didn't think the unchecking didn't work, is b/c I can see the entire forums category is not coming into my inbox on TB. I thought maybe I had filters for them, but I was pretty sure I didn't & I just checked & no, I don't even have folders for those e-mails in my TB.

The other categories seem to be getting the mail to TB.

#7 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:14 PM

Another reason I didn't think the unchecking didn't work, is b/c I can see the entire forums category is not coming into my inbox on TB.

How is synchronisation & storage configured for that account? Is it set to download and store entire messages on the computer (for offline reading), or is it set to download headers only? Secondly, is it set to download messages (or their headers) regardless of their age or is it set to download messages  within a certain age limit e.g 30 days and newer? View the settings for that account, select the Synchronisation & Storage section and post a screenshot of it.

If some messages in the Forums category are being downloaded and others are not, it could be the adaptive junk mail control settings. That feature requires Thunderbird to be trained to identify junk from non-junk messages. I find it redundant and a possible cause of issues (TB itself warns about this), so i turn it off (globally and per account) and rely on Gmail's spam filtering to separate junk from the rest of the messages. Let's see that screenshot requested above.

#8 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

Another reason I didn't think the unchecking didn't work, is b/c I can see the entire forums category is not coming into my inbox on TB.

How is synchronisation & storage configured for that account? Is it set to download and store entire messages on the computer (for offline reading), or is it set to download headers only? Secondly, is it set to download messages (or their headers) regardless of their age or is it set to download messages  within a certain age limit e.g 30 days and newer? View the settings for that account, select the Synchronisation & Storage section and post a screenshot of it.

If some messages in the Forums category are being downloaded and others are not, it could be the adaptive junk mail control settings. That feature requires Thunderbird to be trained to identify junk from non-junk messages. I find it redundant and a possible cause of issues (TB itself warns about this), so i turn it off (globally and per account) and rely on Gmail's spam filtering to separate junk from the rest of the messages. Let's see that screenshot requested above.

I have never seen anything called Synchronisation & Storage & I just looked again & there's nothing in the account settings. 

I turned off the "Enable Junk Settings" just in case, but I'm not getting any of the mail from that category (forums), so I don't think that's the issue.

Thanks

#9 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hmm, I thought I hadn't answered this thread, but I see I did & it just looks like I didn't.

Where's the edit button to edit posts? I can't see it anywhere :(

#10 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

I have never seen anything called Synchronisation & Storage & I just looked again & there's nothing in the account settings.

You must be using an older version then. Upgrade to the latest version; 38.7.2, or better yet, completely uninstall the current version and install the latest version. If you have (address book) contacts, (calendar) events and tasks that you'd like to backup before uninstaling, use the export options to save them in files that can be imported in the new version. When adding your gmail account, use the IMAP protocol (it's the default for gmail accounts) for the best experience. You may have to enable IMAP access for your Gmail account first. Go to Gmail Settings -> Forwarding and POP/IMAP -> IMAP Access -> Enable IMAP -> Save Changes. After adding the account in TB, go to that account's junk settings and turn off adaptive junk mail controls. Directly below the junk settings is the Synchronisation & Storage option, select the option to synchronise all messages regardless of age.

You may also want to disable the first option to speed up the download of older messages. That option disables downloading full messages and saving them on your computer, and instead only the headers are downloaded (the content or body of the messages are not downloaded). The disadvantage of downloading headers only is that the messages will not be available for offline reading because the contents of the messages are downloaded only when you open or view the messages, and that requires you to be online at that time. If you are using TB on a laptop/notebook and you like to take it with you to locations without internet access, but you'd still prefer to have the messages' contents available for reading while there, then leave this option turned on. If you have a lot of messages in your mailbox, downloading their contents for offline reading can result in a lot of disk space being used, but if disk space is not a problem and you have a fast, unlimited internet connection then leave that option enabled.

2ppk5yq.jpg

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

@ ep2002 #9

For information, the 'Edit' button is three to the left of the 'Multi-quote' button at the bottom right of the the post but is grayed out and not very visible until you hover over it. Any poster can edit his or her posts for up to 24 hours after making them. If you really need to make an edit after that you have to get a Moderator to do it for you.

After 24 hours it is often easier and quicker just to make a new post - as you did above- explaining or correcting what you had said earlier, but you have that 24 hours to make your own changes.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users