Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

scandisk is gathering information it needs to safegard the contents of drive c

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

I am getting a message on Windows 98 using scandisk in MSDos mode that reads

scandisk is gathering information it needs to safeguard the contents of drive c

Which Google does not recognize at all. It is so convinced that scandisk is supposed to be "sandisk". I searched this message in quotes and got "no results for" "searching without quotes" and the same unrelated results

does anybody know what this message means and what it is doing? should I be alarmed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,596 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

Google searched that string just fine for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-98-se-problem-blue-screen-and-bad-cluster.220283/
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread.php?34054-Data-error-reading-drive-C
http://www.verycomputer.com/12_a37d011e0ebaa011_1.htm

Good luck (since I never dealt with Windows 98)!

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

None of those links explain the issue I am having A scheduled defragmentation says it cannot access the drive at 10% every time. it asks if I want to check for errors. It tells me that there are none, defragmentation tries again. same message at 10%. repeat repeat repeat. So I gave it a go in MSDosmode. I tried Google again and it is still saying "did you mean sandisk" and "no results for" "searching without quotes". So I don't know why Google refuses to display anything for me. scandisk said "4 bad clusters when I got home from college. I went to "Ok" and it returned to MSDos mode but I cannot shut down in MSDos mode, every time I type "shut down", I always get a "bad command or file name" which again Google will not bring anything up on. that error message shows up in a bunch of results regarding In windows but nothing in MSdos mode. and nothing regarding typing to shut the computer down. it refuses to allow the shut down command. I googled the error message again in quotes and in separate quotes "shut down" but all that came up was junk.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:55 PM

There is no shut down procedure from MS-DOS mode, just turn the computer off when the command prompt is displayed (i.e. no program is running). Typing "EXIT" will return to Windows Mode.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:21 AM

typing 'exit' also gives me "bad command or file name"

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:59 AM

I'd wonder if something else is corrupted too, since EXIT is an internal command built into the DOS command processor.

Anyway, the computer can just be powered off. If you want to restart Windows rather than just shutting down, you could type C:\WINDOWS\WIN and see if it will run the Windows loader.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 09 April 2016 - 09:49 PM

With the age of the drive, and scandisk hanging at 10% its time to back up your data and replace the drive.

At this point, it has to be 10-15 years old.

Its failing

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users