Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 start/windows button won't work

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:06 AM

half of the time i try to left-click on the windows start button, nothing happens.  the other half of the time, the appropriate menu of apps comes up.  the right-click part of the start button ALWAYS works.  is there a way to fix the start button so it always works?  OR is there a way i can bring up the menu from the right-click menu--perhaps a command prompt....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:46 AM

I just ran into the same problem except that left-clicking the Start button NEVER worked.  I ran SFC but it said it didn't find any problems.  I ended up restoring from a backup followed by Windows update.  If anyone finds an easier resolution, I'd sure love to hear about it. In the mean time I'm personally going to keep more frequent backups (sigh).  I've also turned System Restore on from the System applet of the Control Panel and created a restore point.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

I also ran into this problem. I was using RegServo to fix and clean my registry. After I rebooted my start menu disappeared. I ran the newest backup of the registry before I had this problem and after restoring it didn't fix the error. I tried a couple of restore and back up points and none of them brought back my start menu. I contacted tech support for RegServo online and the tech acted like it was not an unusual thing losing the start menu. He tried some back ups first with the same results I got....nothing. He then quickly typed in a command in Run and brought up a screen that I had never seen before and did some clicking around and very soon he had my start menu back. He made an adjustment in RegServo and said everything was back to normal. I don't know what the command was he wrote into run nor the identity of the screen it brought up. I have lost my start up menu at least 2 more times and using a bootable Windows 10 USB drive I managed to restore the menu that way. I think this is a very common issue as there is quite a bit of literature at Microsoft. None of their suggested fixes worked however.

#4 ChiefTech

ChiefTech

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 10 April 2016 - 06:34 PM

The problem is almost always caused by 3rd party programs running at startup. In my experience with it it's really hit and miss. I've had antivirus programs cause the problem. I've seen Dell software cause it. I've even had WLAN management software, touchpad applications, eco management tools, etc cause it. It's almost always on systems that were upgraded from 7 to 10, but I've seen it on 8 ups too. it's most likely caused by unsupported or outdated software that is running on the machine. Windows 10 seems to be incredibly sensitive in this aspect.

I would suggest managing your startup programs and services with msconfig. Only run what is necessary for Windows to operate. If you leave any other 3rd party stuff make sure you uninstall them and then reinstall with the latest up to date version. Also be sure to check scheduled tasks and see what is running on schedules with taskschd.msc.

I would also suggest uninstalling your antivirus software and getting the latest version via their website. Don't just update the exisisting version.

If you haven't yet you should also try running sfc /scannow

Edited by ChiefTech, 10 April 2016 - 06:36 PM.

#5 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

thanks for all the input, folks.  i have tried a few of your suggestions--the ones i was only slightly uncomfortable doing.  the harder stuff i just bypassed....

the bad news is that the issue persists.  the good news is that i have been accessing my chrome browser by simply doing a command prompt, typing in "chrome", and there it is.  at least that consistently works....

#6 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 01:59 AM

There is a program in our downloads section called WinFix 10. There is one application in it that deals directly with missing the start menu. Don't know how it works as I haven't needed it yet. Might be an easier alternative.

#7 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

HMMM.  i just looked up WinFix10 on Google, and there are repeated listings showing it as rogueware that needs to be cleaned off of any "infected" computers.....

#8 boomdig

boomdig

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Wonder how it made through everything and is offered as a down load here?

#9 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

I just checked.  It's not on the downloads here today; I never looked before today.  I see there is one called Windows Repair, but I've never use it.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users