Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgraded my laptop to win 10. lost internet connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Juliasdream

Juliasdream

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:40 AM

I can connect with a LAN Cable but not with wireless
When I try to diagnose the problem I get the message "One or more otf network protocols are missing but no solution is provided.
Could someone please advise.
Thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2016 - 09:10 AM.
moved from Windows 10 Discussion to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

What is the make and model of the laptop?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:31 AM

it's a Medion Akoya MD 98360 running Win 10 upgraded from WIN 7

There's a number of other Win 10 issues as well

left clicking the start button does nothing but right clicking gives me a list of options

The search facility is almost non existant 

I can't find any programs which are not on the desktop except through the files and folders> computer>program files then searching for the correct extention such as .exe

Also when I type "Run" I type what I'm looking for and it always comes up as an error

and I don't get the tiles like I see on other win 10 computers

Sorry, it's a bit more than wireless conectivity issues

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 03:51 AM

I would run the upgrade again. L-clicking the Start button should definitely bring up the Start menu. Here are some tips on doing the upgrade ...

Edited by ElfBane, 02 April 2016 - 03:52 AM.

#5 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hi, juliasdream,

most of the problems I encountered during the installation (and afterwards) were caused by the installed Antivirusprogram - whenever installing drivers, deactivate the AV for the time being! (Rather do a scan afterwards to make sure that you didn't catch anything funny while updating without ...)

Of course the whole upgrade from Win7 should have been done without AV in the first place (yes, I also have a bad feeling connecting to the internet without protection, but sometimes you just have to take a risk   :devil:   )

Make sure to download the respective Win10 drivers from the homepage of your manufacturer if provided, and make sure that Win10 doesn't install it's own drivers afterwards AGAIN over the others, if they work. Just note the date and version as depicted in the device manager.

For example with your wireless problem: uninstall the current driver (AV off!) with the device manager, and install your own afterwards; if you don't have your own, just use "actualize driver": with the AV off there is a good chance it will install and function correctly even if it was the same MS driver you used before.

Repeat the procedure with all the other devices that seem to cause a problem.   :lmao: 

And make sure that Win10 doesn't replace the installed drivers with it's own again thru normal updates, when you usually have AV on - the same problem might just come back. Just google and use wushowhide.diagcab.

There could be a lot of other issues involved (BIOS type and settings, (not-)installed software, etc), but this is just a hint for the beginning.

Greetings from Germany,

Curly

#6 Juliasdream

Juliasdream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2016 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be working on it in a few days as soon as I get some time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users