Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Keviness

Keviness

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:36 AM

hi i recently just bought a new computer and i use mozilla firefox explorer. i find that my internet browsing speed is really really slow. it takes quite a while to load images and stuff on pages, even though i have a high-speed connection. do i need to download any plugins/software to increase speed? how can I speed up my internet? should I be using internet explorer or netscape instead of firefox? thank you :thumbsup: I have checked for Viruses with Mcafee virus center and none were found and I have checked for spyware.

Edited by Keviness, 03 August 2006 - 05:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:03 AM

Hello Keviness, There are a lot of programs that claim to speed up your computer. Any gain in download speed after using these is very small if any.
What antimalware programs do you have? What type of internet connection are you using--cable, DSL,satellite,etc.? If you would like you can check your download speed here:
reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html

Edited by buddy215, 03 August 2006 - 06:07 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Keviness

Keviness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

well i dont know much about computers... i did the test and it tells me im " 1208.9 Kbps" and im dsl i think. i have mcafee security and spyware S&D. are those good ones?

Edited by Keviness, 03 August 2006 - 07:14 AM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:47 AM

The download speed with DSL is greatly determined by the distance between your computer and the telephone company's office. 3 miles or so is about the limit.
Stopping programs from loading at startup is one of the best ways to speed up your computer. A program that I use to do this is WinPatrol. It also has other good uses that protect your computer from malware. Programs such as Windows media, Adobe Reader, Real Networks, Quicktime, Office, Instant messengers, etc can be manually started when needed.
I am assuming McAfee came installed on your new computer and eventually you will be asked to pay for it. If you would like to try others, there are many free programs. If you would like a list, just ask.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

To speed up Firefox, have you tried Pipelining?
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining

Here's a few Fiefox resources you can check out:
About:config entries
How To Modify Hidden Preferences Using about:config
Tweakfactor - Firefox Tweak Guide
TweakGuides - Firefox Tweak Guide
Firefox Tuning
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions
Plugins
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Keviness

Keviness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 05:17 PM

yes a list of free programs would be great!

thanks for the links to - Malware, Pipelining
i hope they arent too hard to use

-edit
they both worked well and helped alot thanks!

Edited by Keviness, 03 August 2006 - 05:27 PM.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

You're welcome, Keviness.
Glad to help.

Free Programs:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 Keviness

Keviness
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 06:51 PM

Very useful, thanks again! :thumbsup:

#9 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 28 August 2006 - 12:54 PM

My pages have been displayed loads quicker since doing this.Thanks.

#10 mcheraghimn

mcheraghimn

• Banned
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 31 August 2006 - 06:02 PM

If you have a lot of time the best suggestion is to format your windows partition and install a newer windows.
When you connect ti internet many background programs start connecting to the internet such as windows update.so you can disactive this programs from connecting to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users