Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD diagnostic trouble

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

Hello Everyone,

Last night, while playing a video on Netflix, my HP Pavilion a6248x tower, flashed into a blue screen.

My current system specs:

HP Pavilion a6248xPC

Windows 7 Home Premium X86 (Pc originally shipped with Vista)

1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD

AMD Athlon 64 X@ Dual Core

2 GB of installed RAM

Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation-WDDM)

The message on the BSOD was:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time that you’ve seen this stop error screen, restart the computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8, to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

(No technical information, was listed)

Windows Updates:

Yesterday morning, I added a new Microsoft wireless keyboard, and replaced my old one. After inserting the USB receiver, I ran Windows updates, and installed the software. That is the only thing that I have added to this system, in some time. This desktop, is primarily used for web browsing, word documents, and the occasional Netflix program. The only Windows updates that were available were the ones relating to the mouse, and keyboard. Everything else was up to date. I do not know if this could be an issue, I am just listing as many details as I can.

After restarting the PC in safe mode the following message appeared:

Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.

Problem signature:

Problem event name: Bluescreen

OS version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

Bccode: 1000008e

BCP1: C0000005

BCP2:001CCB14

BCP3: 9ADA1D38

BCP4: 00000000

OS version: 6_1_7601

Service pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\windows\minidump\033016-11684-01.dmp

If I navigate to C:\windows\minidump\033016-11684-01.dmp, the folder is completely empty. While I was looking up the Microsoft codes, I saw conflicting results, and wasn’t able to pinpoint the error.

Attempts to solve the problem:

First, I opened the case, to blow out any dust. However, the interior was clean, and dust free.

Using the Windows memory diagnostic tool, I attempted to run a scan. The message above the scan, said that the scan may take a few minutes. During step 2 of 2, at 52%. The scan stopped. I waited for roughly 3.5 hours, before I realized that the screen was frozen. I couldn’t even use the keyboard, to navigate through the panel. The only other message on the screen was:

Hardware problems were detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer.

I ran Blue Screen Viewer, and My Event Viewer. Blue Screen Viewer reports 0 crashes. My event viewer opens, then freezes on a white screen, while in safe mode.

The Windows Device Manager is reporting that the Display Adapter is up to date. The BSOD message also reported that I should check for adequate disk space. I have a 1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue, and there are currently 864GB free. The BSOD stated that I should adjust the caching, and shadowing options, in the BIOS. After navigating through the BIOS, I did not see those two options present.

After going through some pages, I am reading that in many cases, faulty RAM, and outdated BIOS, are some popular causes, for a system to behave the way that mine is.

I went to the HP website, and they have a BIOS update, under my machine, but with the Windows Vista OS. That update, is labeled

MCP61PM-HM Motherboard BIOS Update

1.4 MB

Dec 1, 2012

On my tower, System Information is reporting that my BIOS version/Date is:

Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.16, 8/14/2007

SMBIOS Version 2.4

Would it be wise, to update the BIOS, with the download that HP is providing under the Vista driver downloads? Does anyone know of any reliable, proven memory testing tools? Also, if not the BIOS update, or faulty memory, could someone please suggest some other tests that I may perform, based off the above information? Does anyone know, if a fresh install will clear this issue up? Thank you.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 30 March 2016 - 09:50 PM.
Moved to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:59 AM

Please run the BSOD Posting Instructions - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

RAM test -- memtest86+ - run 1 stick at a time; alternate the slots - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/3909-test-ram-memtest86.html

If there is a BIOS update, you should install it. It does not matter what OS it is listed under.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 31 March 2016 - 01:02 AM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

Greetings,

I was instructed to move my original post. Below, I have attached a link to the original thread, as well as the requested attachments.

Thank you.

Original post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609575/bsod-diagnostic-trouble/

My current system specs:

HP Pavilion a6248xPC (Desktop)

Windows 7 Home Premium X86 (Pc originally shipped with Vista)

1TB Western Digital Scorpio Blue HDD

AMD Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5200+ 2.6 GHz (65W)

2 GB of installed RAM

Nvidia Geforce 6150SE nForce 430 (Microsoft Corporation-WDDM)

Motherboard: ECS Nettle2-GL8E MCP61PM-HM

Requested attachments:

Attached Files

Edited by Orange Blossom, 31 March 2016 - 11:58 PM.
Merged topics. ~ OB

#4 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

After running the provided Verifier instructions, the PC, experienced the BSOD after the reboot. I continued to follow the instructions, and used the restore point that was previously created. Once the PC restored, I ran the Verifier command lines, and the results are posted below. I noticed that it reads ‘disabled’ after every entry. Can you please tell me, if that is how it is supposed to be? Also, the instructions say that Driver Verifier needs to run for 24 hours, even if the status screen appears clear. Does this mean that I should leave the PC on, for 24 hours? If so, is it safe to use during that 24 hour time frame? I will now run the HDD Diagnostic link, and test the Ram.

Thank you.

Attached Files

Edited by beachfeet, 31 March 2016 - 05:08 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:59 PM

Hello beachfeet,

I have merged your new topic into the original one you made.  Your original topic had already been moved, by me, to the proper forum.

Back to you jcgriff2

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#6 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

Thank you, very much, Orange Blossom.

#7 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 12:49 PM

Hi. . .

Thank you for the files; however, there are no BSOD kernel memory dumps in the output and therefore nothing to analyze.

I checked msinfo32 WERCON section and it does show that you've experienced 6 BSODs -

3/30/2016 9:24 PM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: BlueScreen

3/19/2016 12:51 PM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0

2/22/2016 4:47 AM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0

2/21/2016 5:45 AM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0

2/21/2016 5:42 AM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0

11/14/2015 4:26 AM	Windows Error Reporting	Fault bucket , type 0

Are you running any kind of file cleaner such as CCleaner, which does delete kernel memory dump files if such a selection is made?

Check your system's crash settings - make sure it is set to full kernel dump or automatic dump. You can find these settings in the Control Panel under "System"; "Advanced System Settings; "Advanced"

Also, run through these steps - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576615/bsods-but-no-dump-files/

Driver Verifier does need to run for 24 hours minimum despite the query settings status.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Edited by jcgriff2, 03 April 2016 - 12:53 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#8 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:36 PM

Hello,

Yes, I have run CCleaner since the incident. I was not aware that the logs box was checked. Thank you, for posting the new set of instructions. I will go through those, and post back, with my findings. I also need to post the memtest results. Thank you, for your patience.

Best.

#9 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:54 PM

You don't need to post memtest86+ results - either it passed or failed.

Regards. . .

jcgrff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#10 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2016 - 02:02 AM

jcgriff2,

I haven't forgotten about this issue. Hopefully, I will have time within the next week, to sit down, and continue working on this project. Thank you, for your patience. 

#11 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:40 AM

I ran the memtest, and it took about 2 hours per stick, per slot. There were no errors. Next, I can continue with the instructions that were posted, here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576615/bsods-but-no-dump-files/

Can you please tell me, if the above instructions will produce the logs that we need, even though CCleaner deleted them? Or, is this a lost cause, until the BSOD appears again? I have made sure to uncheck the boxes, in CCleaner, so that all logs will still be intact if that occurs.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:08 AM

jcgriff2 has had some personal issues and hasn't been around for a while.
I'll try to help out here until he gets back.

I'm not familiar with the article that you've linked to - but if you've deleted the memory dumps w/CCleaner, then they're gone.

It's easiest to just wait and see if the BSOD's continue

If you're determined to restart this, then run Driver Verifier again.  It'll generate a BSOD which you can then upload.

Please do not use CCleaner until we've finished troubleshooting your problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2016 - 10:49 AM

Thank you, Usasma. I will wait to see if they continue. I will post back here, if they start to show up again. I ran driver verifier, about 20 minutes ago, and after restarting the machine, there was a BSOD. I had to go through the steps of restoring. The verifier instructions, say that it needs to be run for 24 hours.

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:11 AM

Once you're ready, zip up and upload the memory dumps so that we can have a look at them.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users