Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having some video problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Royberg

Royberg

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:35 PM

So, I have an 11 year old Dell computer (integrated video card) with a 5 year old monitor and lately I've had some display problems.  It started out months and months earlier when I would get blurry text or images in little regions of my monitor.  They would look a little stretched and shimmer.  I discovered the VGA connector cable was a bit gnarled and was being pinned against the wall.  Adjusting the cable worked just fine.  One night, however, I was watching a video when my monitor froze and all I saw were distorted colors.  The audio had stopped as well. I pushed in the power button to force a shut down and that fixed it.  Yesterday, however, I turn on the computer and I get a message across my screen:

"There is no signal coming from your computer.  Press any key on the keyboard or mouse to wake it up.  To change to another output source press the monitor button again."  The light on the monitor would then turn from white to yellow unless I pressed one of the monitor setting buttons again.

I had an older identical VGA cable and tried switching them to no avail.  I then opened the tower and proceeded to remove as much dust as I could and started it up again.  That seemed to fix it, only the problem reoccurred and I once again was met with distorted colors.  I then tried tinkering with the inside of the tower again,  removing some more dust I had missed and all seemed well (it was quite dusty to begin with).  I did some research and it seemed that dust had nothing to do with it.  Instead what I was  doing was bringing my monitor out of standby mode by having the power and video cable out for a period of time.  I had also pressed the power button a few times with the tower disconnected from everything to remove residual electricity.

All has been well most of the day today until my monitor suddenly went black.  There was still a picture being rendered, but it was just black, sort of like when you might start up a game and the monitor goes black for a few seconds as it adjusts to the resolution.  However, I could still fiddle with my monitor's settings (brightness, etc.), which I could NOT do when I was receiving the no signal message on start up.

A few things I haven't tried yet since doing some research are removing and resetting my RAM sticks and utilizing a weird trick of gently rubbing the gold edges of my RAM and video card with a pencil eraser.

Any ideas what's going on?  Is my graphics card dying?  Going back to the beginning of my story, it seemed like the problem could be with the VGA cable port.  During the first screen freeze, my cat may have bumped the cable.

Edited by hamluis, 31 March 2016 - 11:30 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:08 PM

it seemed like the problem could be with the VGA cable port. During the first screen freeze, my cat may have bumped the cable.

Do you have a second graphics card you can try? Alternatively, does your tower have an integrated graphics? (there would be a cable port on the motherboard back panel.)
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Royberg

Royberg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:04 PM

it seemed like the problem could be with the VGA cable port. During the first screen freeze, my cat may have bumped the cable.

Do you have a second graphics card you can try? Alternatively, does your tower have an integrated graphics? (there would be a cable port on the motherboard back panel.)

Nope, I don't have another graphics card on hand and I am using an integrated one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users