Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about MBR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Strained to See

Strained to See

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

I'm the easily paranoid type when it comes to viruses and trojans. I wanted to know if there are extra steps you would have to take to reset the MBR or does a windows reinstall take care of that. My computer is fine atm, mainly asking so I know what to do if something ever happens in the future.

-Also forgot to ask, if you make a system image using window's backup does it also backup the MBR?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:49 PM

A complete, clean reinstall of Windows from a CD/DVD/USB will completely and irrevocably erase all data on the target hard drive. This includes the MBR.

By "Windows Backup" do you mean system restore?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:48 PM

-Also forgot to ask, if you make a system image using window's backup does it also backup the MBR?

Yes with "system image", no with system "restore points".

Edited by TsVk!, 30 March 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

A complete, clean reinstall of Windows from a CD/DVD/USB will completely and irrevocably erase all data on the target hard drive. This includes the MBR.

Not quite. It will destroy the partition tables, create new ones and write new data to the disk. The old data still exists but it is not referenced anywhere on the disk.

The new installation will then start writing over the data that is not visible. The new installation will not be able to see any of the old data. Much data will be destroyed in the writing/installation process, but there will be many files that could be retrieved using applications like TestDisk.

The way to irretrievably destroy all the data (apart from physically destroying the disk) is to rewrite the disk with random data. A good example of an application that does this is DBAN.

#5 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

Not quite. It will destroy the partition tables, create new ones and write new data to the disk. The old data still exists but it is not referenced anywhere on the disk.

The new installation will then start writing over the data that is not visible. The new installation will not be able to see any of the old data. Much data will be destroyed in the writing/installation process, but there will be many files that could be retrieved using applications like TestDisk.

The way to irretrievably destroy all the data (apart from physically destroying the disk) is to rewrite the disk with random data. A good example of an application that does this is DBAN.

True, but considering the OP wasn't concerned with permanently erasing data I didn't want to get into technicalities like that. The important part is that the MBR will no longer be usable.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:04 PM

Not having a go at you mate, just trying to avoid any confusion.

#7 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:50 AM

MBR is always in the first sector on every disk. As soon as you create system partition, new MBR will be written in first sector.

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 31 March 2016 - 06:34 AM.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:19 AM

Not having a go at you mate, just trying to avoid any confusion.

I wasn't either :) thanks.

#9 Strained to See

Strained to See
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thanks everyone, I don't think I have anymore questions about this. You guys answered all of them :).

#10 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:59 PM

Glad we could help :)

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

:busy:

#12 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:59 PM

Well stepping this up a notch, the outer most side of the disk platter / platters are where the MBR is written (First 512 sector), this is why the old "My PC is so fast now i formatted" comes from because the disk spins and there for data is read faster at the outer edges. The the $MFT comes into play!

Now once the drive fills up, the data is written from the out side in and when its getting full the pc may become a little slower!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users