Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any experts out there?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

Ok, so I recently bought an ASUS router, the RT- AC68P, and no matter what i tried, it would not connect to the internet. I think it is because I have not set my verizon fios router to bridge mode, but I don't know how to do that and Verizon apparently does not support it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:53 PM

Please explain, in detail, your network setup.

I am guessing its something like this:
device
      \
device - ASUS router - verizon fios router/modem - internet
      /
device
in which case you would want the ASUS router to be in bridge mode, not the Fios router.

Edited by ScathEnfys, 30 March 2016 - 09:40 PM.

Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:05 PM

Please explain, in detail, your network setup.

I am guessing its something like this:

device
      \
device - ASUS router - verizon fios router - modem - internet
      /
device
in which case you would want the ASUS router to be in bridge mode, not the Fios router.  Other than that, yes that is the setup.

The verizon fios router is the modem. It is both the router and the modem, does that make sense? Sorry I'm not very elaborate.

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

That does. My instructions then remain the same: Switch the Fios router back on to normal mode and the ASUS onto bridge mode.

#5 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:23 PM

That does. My instructions then remain the same: Switch the Fios router back on to normal mode and the ASUS onto bridge mode.

The fios router is on normal. I don't know how to set it to bridge mode. And what would putting the ASUS on bridge mode do? It's not connecting anything, and it's supposed to be the primary router anyway

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:36 PM

Sorry, I misread your post. I'm confused by what you mean as to "the ASUS is not connecting anything, it's supposed to be the primary router"?

The ASUS must go through the Fios router. There isn't any easy way around that. What you can do is run the setup like I suggested, in that the ASUS serves as the primary access point (where all the wifi devices connect to) and a bridge.

UPDATE:
Here's a list of functions each router should perform:
ASUS:
Access Point
Bridge

FIOS:
DHCP Server
Gateway
Modem

UPDATE 2:
changed the network sketch to show the config

Edited by ScathEnfys, 30 March 2016 - 09:41 PM.

#7 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:42 PM

Sorry, I misread your post. I'm confused by what you mean as to "the ASUS is not connecting anything, it's supposed to be the primary router"?

The ASUS must go through the Fios router. There isn't any easy way around that. What you can do is run the setup like I suggested, in that the ASUS serves as the primary access point (where all the wifi devices connect to) and a bridge.

UPDATE:
Here's a list of functions each router should perform:
ASUS:
Access Point
Bridge

FIOS:
DHCP Server
Gateway
Modem

The Asus router, when setting it up, says it cannot connect to the internet. After a lot of troubleshooting, I found that verizon said if you want a third-party router, you need to turn your fios router into a bridge because it functions as both a router and a modem. The problem is I have no idea how to do that.

#8 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:50 PM

Alright I misunderstood. I need you to find out the following:
1) Fios router login info (this is typically printed on the bottom of the router or available online, unless you changed it from the default)
2) the IP of you router:
do this by doing the following:
a. Open the "run command" box by holding down the windows key and pressing "r"
copy and paste the following into the box, then hit enter:
ipconfig > %userprofile%\Desktop\my-ipconfig.txt
A file named "my-ipconfig.txt" should appear on the desktop. Copy and paste the contents of it into your reply.
!!!IMPORTANT!!! The above steps should be performed when connected to the Fios router, not the ASUS router.

The model name and number of the Fios router in question will also be helpful, as I can't see your screen.

#9 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:07 PM

Alright I misunderstood. I need you to find out the following:
1) Fios router login info (this is typically printed on the bottom of the router or available online, unless you changed it from the default)
2) the IP of you router:
do this by doing the following:
a. Open the "run command" box by holding down the windows key and pressing "r"
copy and paste the following into the box, then hit enter:

ipconfig > %userprofile%\Desktop\my-ipconfig.txt
A file named "my-ipconfig.txt" should appear on the desktop. Copy and paste the contents of it into your reply.
!!!IMPORTANT!!! The above steps should be performed when connected to the Fios router, not the ASUS router.

The model name and number of the Fios router in question will also be helpful, as I can't see your screen.

I have my login info, and here is the file: 

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : 

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 12:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::a025:79eb:21b8:3447%4
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 5:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:1c9f:301d:3f57:fefb
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::1c9f:301d:3f57:fefb%6
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

Tunnel adapter isatap.home:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
The model name is verizon actiontec mi424wr

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:07 AM

Please post the manufacturer/model number of your FIOS gateway (modem/router combo unit).

I missed seeing it in your post above.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 March 2016 - 08:14 AM.

#11 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:44 AM

Alright, so here goes:

in the browser of a computer connected to the FIOS router, go to http://192.168.1.1. When prompted for a username and password, enter "admin" for the username and "password" for the password (NOTE: If you changed the password/username at any point, use the credentials you changed it to instead of "admin" and "password"). If it is your first time connecting to the router, the router will ask you to change the username and password from the defaults. Please do so and use a password you can easily remember, but will be hard for others to guess.

Please connect the ASUS router to the FIOS router before proceeding with the following steps:

Click on the "Network Connections" option at the top of the home page of the router. Then click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the list labeled "network connections" and please take a screenshot of the page.

Please also take a screenshot of the page that appears when you click on "Network (Home/Office)" from the drop down list.

Post both screenshots so that I can see your current configuration and determine what needs to be changed.

(Note to other BC Helpers: This is a more complicated router than I am used to dealing with, so feel free to chip in advice. Manual link (Direct PDF Download))

#12 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

If your FIOS router is the ActionTec MI424-WR here is a link to the instructions.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#13 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:23 PM

Alright, so here goes:

in the browser of a computer connected to the FIOS router, go to http://192.168.1.1. When prompted for a username and password, enter "admin" for the username and "password" for the password (NOTE: If you changed the password/username at any point, use the credentials you changed it to instead of "admin" and "password"). If it is your first time connecting to the router, the router will ask you to change the username and password from the defaults. Please do so and use a password you can easily remember, but will be hard for others to guess.

Please connect the ASUS router to the FIOS router before proceeding with the following steps:

Click on the "Network Connections" option at the top of the home page of the router. Then click the "Advanced" button at the bottom of the list labeled "network connections" and please take a screenshot of the page.

Please also take a screenshot of the page that appears when you click on "Network (Home/Office)" from the drop down list.

Post both screenshots so that I can see your current configuration and determine what needs to be changed.

(Note to other BC Helpers: This is a more complicated router than I am used to dealing with, so feel free to chip in advice. Manual link (Direct PDF Download))

Before I do, would SneakyCyber's link work? Also, is it always a hassle to set up third party routers with fios?

#14 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:02 PM

I would check his link first and do my suggestion if you can't figure it out from there.

#15 Thehippiehippo

Thehippiehippo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:23 PM

I would check his link first and do my suggestion if you can't figure it out from there.

I did. I don't quite understand it, but I'll do my best to figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users