Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rollback RX or Shadow Defender?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Strained to See

Strained to See

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:15 PM

Last year I tried one of these programs but I ended up in a repair loop an had to reinstall windows 8.1. I just recently got a new windows 10 laptop an decided I might want to try one of these programs again, of course this time around I will be making a system image (Just in case I get unlucky again.). I wanted to hear from some people who have used either of these programs, to help me decide on which one I want to go with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

There is some discussion in this topic (including support and software issues: System Restore..Alternative !
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Strained to See

Strained to See
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

Thanks quietman, I'll go check out that thread.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:19 AM

In my experience these programs were quite different from eachother. I like both, but for me I find Shadow Defender to be feature-wise not quite what I'm looking for. Rollback is good but you should know it's various limitations before you use it. I think the company touts it as an all-in-one solution but in reality it's vulnerable to hardware failiure and corrupted BIOS'. Still, if you can compensate for these downfalls as I have it's a reliable program.

#6 Strained to See

Strained to See
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:56 PM

In my experience these programs were quite different from eachother. I like both, but for me I find Shadow Defender to be feature-wise not quite what I'm looking for. Rollback is good but you should know it's various limitations before you use it. I think the company touts it as an all-in-one solution but in reality it's vulnerable to hardware failiure and corrupted BIOS'. Still, if you can compensate for these downfalls as I have it's a reliable program.

I was leaning towards rollback rx, only thing I'm not sure on is the rootkit false positive I read about. Even knowing it's just a false positive I'm not that good with seeing the word "Rootkit" appear in a scan lol.

#7 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 05 April 2016 - 07:11 AM

I was leaning towards rollback rx, only thing I'm not sure on is the rootkit false positive I read about. Even knowing it's just a false positive I'm not that good with seeing the word "Rootkit" appear in a scan lol.

Yeah that happened to me too. I talked with one of their reps for a good while asking them about various things (this included) and apparently it comes down to the AV solution recognizing their program. Apparently they've submitted their program to AV solutions so they will recognize it. Still it's not a good thing, and a lot of people won't go to a forum or whatever they'll just not use the program. Still, I think this is moreso an issue with AV solutions then anything but that's just my two cents  :tophat:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users