Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting Randomly

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 minimoney1

minimoney1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Hey.

I recently got a pre built HP computer (I bought it 3 months ago) that comes with i7 6700k, GTX 980 TI, 16 GB ram, and 256 SSD + 1 TB HDD.

Yesterday, there was a power outage for 5 seconds while the computer was on, so the computer shut down unexpectedly. I wanted to note here that I do have a surge protector and my computer was hooked up to the surge protector when the power went out.

Ever since then, however, something weird happens to my computer. When I'm using my computer and the computer isn't idle, everything works well, but when I'm not using the computer but it's still on, it stays on for about 10 minutes and then it automatically restarts the computer.

I've tried turning off the computer and then holding down the power button for 30 seconds (I've heard this might help in some situations). I've also tried turning off the computer and unplugging the power from it and leaving it off for about 1-2 hours, but the same thing still happens.

My guess is that something happened to the power supply, but it's very confusing because it works perfectly when I'm actually using the computer, but when the computer is idle it restarts randomly.

Anyone knows what might be wrong and could help me on this?

Thank you very much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:32 PM

I don't know what the problem is, but you could take a look at the system event log for clues.  Download MiniToolBox and run it with the box checked to list the last 10 event viewer events and post the results here.

In the future an investment in a UPS (battery backup) might be a good investment.  In situations like you had, it would let your computer keep running long enough to stay up through short power events or to do an orderly shutdown for longer ones.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 minimoney1

minimoney1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:44 PM

I don't know what the problem is, but you could take a look at the system event log for clues.  Download MiniToolBox and run it with the box checked to list the last 10 event viewer events and post the results here.

In the future an investment in a UPS (battery backup) might be a good investment.  In situations like you had, it would let your computer keep running long enough to stay up through short power events or to do an orderly shutdown for longer ones.

Good luck.

Yeah I didn't know about UPSs before, and I've already ordered one, however I need to fix this problem at the moment. Thanks for the suggestion!

#4 KathleenCulp

KathleenCulp

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:16 PM

Hi,

I can suggest you some troubleshooting steps which might fix this problem.

1)    Unplug all cables and peripherals from system, press and hold power button from tower for almost a minute and the let it go. Connect only Monitor, Power Cable, Keyboard          and Mouse.

2)    Bypass the Surge protector, toggle the voltage selector and power switch from back of tower and restart the system without any 3rd party devices and observe the system.

3)    Try to find out in what time of idling system goes off

Please let me know, if any of this works.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 April 2016 - 11:31 AM.
spam link deleted

#5 minimoney1

minimoney1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:13 AM

Hi,

I can suggest you some troubleshooting steps which might fix this problem.

1)    Unplug all cables and peripherals from system, press and hold power button from tower for almost a minute and the let it go. Connect only Monitor, Power Cable, Keyboard          and Mouse.

2)    Bypass the Surge protector, toggle the voltage selector and power switch from back of tower and restart the system without any 3rd party devices and observe the system.

3)    Try to find out in what time of idling system goes off

Please let me know, if any of this works.

Hey there.

I've done all three actually,

1) Did this 2 or 3 times, didn't work.

2) I've already bypassed the surge protector and have ordered a UPS to use after I fixed this.

3) It seems like it is about 10-15 minutes. It's somehow connected with the screen display going off (when the computer is idle), but I've tried setting the screen display timer to 1 minute, and I haven't been successful in reproducing the restart right after the screen turns off.

In addition, I was able to grab one of the dump files for the restart, and using windbg, it says that it's somehow connected to ntoskrnl.exe.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 April 2016 - 11:31 AM.
spam link deleted from quote

#6 imjc

imjc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:19 PM

I had this exact problem. I forget the exact steps but I remember it was a fix in the BIOS. Search for issue plus BIOS. I built a custom PC using an Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard. 

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:41 AM

It could be an overheating problem.  Have you checked?  Also have you downloaded and run MiniToolBox to get those errors from the system event log?

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 imjc

imjc

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:35 AM

Good point about overheating! Definitely could be the problem.

#9 minimoney1

minimoney1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hey guys. I'm putting an update here. I did a system restore to a couple of days before this happened, and now everything is working perfectly!

Thanks for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users