Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what's a good android device that can also be used as web phone?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DeathTongue

DeathTongue

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

As one of the last persons in the world without a smartphone, I was looking at some options for minimal calling functions on a tablet without buying a data plan (just using a phone app that will let me make calls when I can get wifi). My daughter used to be able to do this with her Samsung Galaxy Player 4, and I thought that was a pretty cool device, but it is pretty old. Are there better options, such as a newer Galaxy Player? GP 4.2? Other tablets? I prefer a smaller screen such as the 4 or 5 inch samsung screens, but I'm open to other ideas. And what OS do I need - Jelly Bean 4.2?

thanks!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:22 PM

Take a look here: 7 tablets with phone functionality (you can call them giant smartphones)

The article is from 2014 but it will help you look for the features you need. Jelly Bean is about to be 4 versions behind the current one. Not a very secure OS in the grand scheme if you're purchasing now. This fall the 'N' iteration of Android OS will be released. Developer previews are already out. The current released version is Marshmallow 6.0.1. The others going backward are Lollipop and KitKat. Then Jellybean you mentioned.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

I was looking at some options for minimal calling functions on a tablet without buying a data plan (just using a phone app that will let me make calls when I can get wifi). My daughter used to be able to do this with her Samsung Galaxy Player 4...

You can use a VOIP app such as Skype to make free calls but both you and the other person must have the same app installed and running all the time.

#4 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

I was looking at some options for minimal calling functions on a tablet without buying a data plan (just using a phone app that will let me make calls when I can get wifi). My daughter used to be able to do this with her Samsung Galaxy Player 4...

You can use a VOIP app such as Skype to make free calls but both you and the other person must have the same app installed and running all the time.

from what I rememeber, my daughter had an app that allowed her to call regular phone numbers from her galaxy player whenever she had web access. If that is not possible, I may need to look into finding a GSM Startac or Razr and using pre-paid minutes.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:47 AM

from what I rememeber, my daughter had an app that allowed her to call regular phone numbers from her galaxy player whenever she had web access.

Why don't you ask your daughter for the name of the app?  It's possible she was using Google Voice or Hangouts.

#6 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:54 AM

Take a look here: 7 tablets with phone functionality (you can call them giant smartphones)

Nice article, but somehow I don't envision myself holding a TV tray sized tablet up to my face to make calls. I may need to look for an old school phone if I can't get what I want on a small tablet that is not specifically designed with phone functionality. thanks for the update on Android OS's! I can never keep up with that.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

As one of the last persons in the world without a smartphone, I was looking at some options for minimal calling functions on a tablet without buying a data plan...

Nice article, but somehow I don't envision myself holding a TV tray sized tablet up to my face to make calls.

Now, why else would Animal get the idea that you want a tablet-size phone?

#8 DeathTongue

DeathTongue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

As one of the last persons in the world without a smartphone, I was looking at some options for minimal calling functions on a tablet without buying a data plan...

Nice article, but somehow I don't envision myself holding a TV tray sized tablet up to my face to make calls.

Now, why else would Animal get the idea that you want a tablet-size phone?

I used the word tablet to describe a device that is flat but not a phone, a different item than a small laptop or netbook. Since I mentioned a galaxy player with a 4 inch screen, and then further mentioned that I was wanting a device with a 4 or 5 inch screen, I assumed it would be clear that I wanted a small device, not even as big as a new iPhone. If that wasn't clear, I would like to state for the record that I don't want a huge device on my face, like I was walking around with an 80 pound boom box on my shoulder. That aside, I'm thinking a vintage phone would better serve my contrarian needs for this use.

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

There is very little difference between smart phones and tablets apart from size, and size of screen, in their capabilities except that most tablets will not make phone calls except using Skype or some similar internet application.

Given your 'contrarian' and 'vintage' feelings you might be better off with a 'pay-as-you-go' feature phone, one that can make calls, send texts, wake you up in the morning and one or two other minor features. I get ridiculed every so often for using one but - they are cheap to buy; you only pay for what you use; they are light and compact; and they have much better battery life than smart phones. And you can buy brand new ones, you don't have to have a 'vintage' model !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users