Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd issue happened

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bjk360

bjk360

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

Greetings,

Had an odd thing happen a few days ago and thought I would run it by everyone here to see what you think. I have a windows 7 computer that I do most of my work on or do gaming on.I have windows auto-updates turned off. I was working on something and and I noticed the system was getting very sluggish and then finally unresponsive. So I decided to close everything and restart the system. When it started to shut down, the windows update screen popped up and said it was installing an update. I immediately unplugged the internet and sat and watched it. It shut down and restarted without issue. It then completed the update. I then decided to make sure everything was backed up onto an external HD before I got back online, in case I had been a victim of the win 10 forced update issue. Got everything backed up and then got back online and everything was fine. I ran Malwarebytes to see if maybe it was some kind of infection, but nothing turned up. I checked the windows update option and it had been changed somehow, so I turned it off. I also checked the installed updates and nothing is showing up for that date - 3/28/16.

Question 1

Has anyone experienced something like this?

Question 2

What would explain the auto-update feature being turned on when I had not turned it on?

Question 3

Any idea what happened in this case?

Best Wishes,

B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjk360

bjk360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:13 PM

Update:

Now, for some reason, I cannot get facebook or youtube pages to load properly. Other webpages such at Yahoo and this site work fine, but those 2 do not... and I have no idea why all of a sudden. Things were working fine this afternoon and then all of a sudden they didn't. No graphics or pics will load, and if I click on a bookmarked link to a youtube video, I get the message that the video is unavailable. Any ideas?

Edited by bjk360, 30 March 2016 - 11:14 PM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:18 AM

Can you roll back via a System Restore Point to a time before all this happened?  Or, do you have an OS image for your OS partition? If you successfully roll back, would you be interested in a batchfile that would turn OFF Windows Update during any Windows session?  I run it at the beginning of each Windows session, I have an ON batchfile I use when I am good and ready and have the time to carefully check the list of available updates.  If you cannot roll back, there is a long-winded batchfile on the 'Net that may remove the problematic WUs, along with some known-nosy Telemetry WUs.

"...What would explain the auto-update feature being turned on when I had not turned it on?..."

I can't prove it, however, Microsoft has been able once in awhile to over-ride my notify me of available downloads and installs [do not download or install - only notify].  I dunno how MS does it.

Edited by RolandJS, 31 March 2016 - 12:22 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:30 AM

You could always turn the WU - Service Off , as i do and as Disabled.

As to just selecting WU - Never Check For Updates - selection.

Do Both., and i would be surprised if they could turn the Service on.

#5 bjk360

bjk360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:22 AM

Greetings,

Thank you for your responses. I went to go attempt a restore point as you mentioned, and guess what... all previous restore points are completely gone.. every single one of them.. poof. There is one for 3/30.. which is yesterday and thats it. After doing some more digging on line, I discovered this thread about updates:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/list-of-windows-7-telemetry-updates-to-avoid.379151/

Im sure this has been discussed on this forum but just havent wandering into that section yet. It is quite possible that one of these updates I had not seen, wasn't aware of what it did, etc., I could have missed when checking ones to remove, not install, etc.. and, that one of these is responsible for my current situation.

As to having the updates turned to OFF... I have done that as well, and when I reboot the system, the setting has changed. If you have a win 7 system, try it and see if you have the same result.

Thank goodness I was not using my system to do any work that I actually needed at the time, and went ahead and backed everything up in time. At this point what I am considering doing is

A) A re-install of win 7, avoiding the invasive updates

B) Going to a pawn shop and buying a used win 7 laptop and using that.. re-install, re-format, etc - not connecting it to the net

C) Keeping the win computers and migrating to a mac for actual work related things, that way if ms is the one behind all of this as I have read about... forcing updates, etc... they won't affect the system at all. I would like to try Linux but don't know much about it and would have to get some free time to devote to learning about it before I do that.

I'm starting to think that it might be best to

(1) keep one win system for old games, docs, etc.. and never connecting it to the net

(2) have one for internet only, no work or important items on it

(3) and then a 3rd, mac or other OS for actual work and important things

Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:52 PM

well disabling them by turning them off doesnt in fact turn them off, you need to disable the service.

Goto Run and type services.msc and down the bottom right click Windows Updates and then hit properties and click disable.

#7 bjk360

bjk360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:13 AM

Thank you for letting me know about this. Every time I restart my system, windows update is back on... now I know why. Thanks again!

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

When you are sure it is sorted out you should consider down loading "GWX Control panel" it will stop "10" from sneaking into your machine.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

Or you could use Steve Gibson's Never 10 which I found via Lifehacker. It doesn't even install anything. One click and windows 10 is gone.

http://lifehacker.com/never10-prevents-windows-7-and-8-1-from-automatically-u-1767969681

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 10:25 PM

Well trying to catch up with them slying them through WSUS servers sucks as well. I noticed they tried again today so you need to quickly  disallow them in WSUS!

Remember, corporate networks where not meant to get these updates through WSUS but they changed that rule pretty quickly!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users