Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD USB 3.0

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 iamafreeman

iamafreeman

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:03 PM

I have an oldish HP laptop Compaq 6710b which shows USB controllers as universal and enhanced USB2 will a USB 3 external HDD work OK?

Also the detail doesn't seem to match the number of USB ports on the laptop which is 4 as the USB universal controller lists 5 and the enhanced USB 2 another two?

Can anyone enlighten me please?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:33 PM

The USB standard is backward compatible, so a USB 3.0 external drive should work on USB 2.0 ports without any issues.  As for what is listed in (I assume) your Device Manager, I don't know the answer.

#3 iamafreeman

iamafreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 02:33 AM

The USB standard is backward compatible, so a USB 3.0 external drive should work on USB 2.0 ports without any issues.  As for what is listed in (I assume) your Device Manager, I don't know the answer.

Hi, Agouti,

I appreciate the response it's really whether 3.0 is backward compatible to 1.1 rather than 2.0. I don't understand what the device manager is showing me as it lists 5 USB universal controllers which I understand is 1.1 and 2 enhanced which is 2.0. What I don't get is that it lists a total of 7 USB controllers when I only have 4 USB ports?  I'm clearly not understanding what that means.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

USB connectivity is provided by chips that have a number of controller channels. On any given board, there may or may not be a physical port connected to each channel, for example base spec and premium model variants.

However, all the specification listings I find for the Compaq 6710b say 4 x USB 2.0 ports.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:04 AM

Yeah USB is mostly backwards compatible, the only bad thing about a usb3 drive on a usb2 port is that you wont get the transfer speeds that usb3 offers but that really isnt a big deal anyhow

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,240 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

The USB 3 spec has is backward compatible to USB 2 but I am not sure about 1.1. You may or may not have a problem.

I could only find this.

Important: Depending on choices made by the manufacturer, a particular USB 3.0 device may or may not work properly on a computer or other host that was designed for USB 1.1, even though the plugs and receptacles physically connect to each other.

In other words, USB 3.0 devices are allowed to be backward compatible with USB 1.1, but are not required to be so.

#7 iamafreeman

iamafreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 05:28 AM

Hi, everyone

Thanks for all your replies.

I've decided to take the cautious approach and look for a usb 2.0 external hdd as I know that works OK with the external HDD I already have which I bought some years ago.

Grateful for all the replies thanks for taking the time.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,796 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

You should not have to worry if you cant find a USB2 drive, again its transfer speeds that would be effected not compatibility

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 iamafreeman

iamafreeman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

You should not have to worry if you cant find a USB2 drive, again its transfer speeds that would be effected not compatibility

Hi,

I've decided to buy an internal HDD and use it with a caddy as an external drive if I can't find a suitable 2.0 external HDD which is looking quite likely as the new ones all seem to be 3.0.

Cheers.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:56 PM

The choice is of course yours, after all you are a free man!  :) But have you checked if a USB3 drive works OK on the laptop? Surely someone you know must have one?

It seems odd to me to choose to have a slower drive, and lose the prospect of better transfer speeds on other systems and any future laptop that may take the place of the current one.

Edited by Platypus, 03 April 2016 - 05:57 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users