Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair disk for non booting Windows 8.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sdav888

sdav888

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:37 PM

Hi,

Do Windows 7 repair disks work on Windows 8 (or 10) for that matter?

I've tried using a 7 repair disk on 8 and it hasn't worked.

I'm downloading Ultimate Recovery disk and Hirens, has anyone tried these?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:26 PM

No, a Windows 7 repair disc will not work on a Windows 8 computer, and vice versa.  However, a Windows 8 repair disc will work on a Windows 8 computer.  And yes, you can boot Hiren's and UBCD (if that is what you mean) as long as you switch to CSM mode if it's a UEFI computer.

#3 sdav888

sdav888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for your help, I will give those a try.

#4 emily080

emily080

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 06 April 2016 - 10:27 PM

Hi sdav888! You can create a Windows 8 repair disc from another working Windows 8 computer. Most of boot CDs we used before don't support Windows 8 UEFI secure boot, so you might need to temporarily change the boot mode to legacy or CSM, and disable the Secure Boot option:

http://www.top-password.com/blog/set-windows-8-pc-to-boot-with-legacy-bios-mode-instead-of-uefi-mode/

A update is appreciated if your problem is solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users