Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen when start in normal mode, works in safe mode only.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CliffordJ

CliffordJ

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:29 PM

Windows only opens in safe mode,tried reloading drivers, last known good configuration,etc. When in normal mode black screen only, when acessing task manager shows all processes stopped and will not allow me to start them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

Hello CliffordJ. Microsoft Security Essentials is installed, correct? Many MSE users running Vista (but not all) suffered black screen after login following installation of Update for Microsoft Security Essentials - 4.9.218.0 (KB3140527), released about a month ago. In fact there is already a thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606422/windows-vista-x64-bksod-after-login-or-no-access-in-normal-mode-suspect-mse/. The posters there disabled MSE 4.9 in Safe Mode by unticking a brand-new setting in the UI (Administrator > Turn on this app). Another method of escaping this situation would be to restore your system to a point before the update was installed, then hide the update in Windows Update. That would allow you to resume using MSE 4.8 if you wish.

I am extremely curious why this happens to many but not all MSE users running Vista. If more advanced forum members ask you for further information, I hope you will cooperate. Above all, I wonder if any other security software with real-time protection is installed (or perhaps improperly uninstalled)? Of course there is a possibility that your issue is something else...

Edited by Abzyx, 30 March 2016 - 09:15 PM.

#3 CliffordJ

CliffordJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thank you very much. Would not let me acess windows update, but once unclicking MSE rebooted everything returned to normal. Thank you once again.

#4 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

You are very welcome, but I wish you would tell us if you had another antivirus program installed. I do not think the MSE 4.9.218.0 update is actually incompatible with Vista.

#5 JacobVR

JacobVR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:07 PM

Uninstall the graphics driver and all other ati software such as catalyst control center--then do not reinstall it--download drivercleaner or driver sweeper and use them to remove all traces of ati drivers--restart in safe mode and run drivercleaner/sweeper again--reboot and install the graphics driver to see if it fixes the problem.. This usually is caused by updating graphics drivers without totally wiping out the old ones.

#6 Oliverjohn

Oliverjohn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:19 AM

Hi All, had same problem -uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials (whilst in 'safe' mode) - rebooted; everything back to normal, Thank you Abzyx your advice really worked and helpful

#7 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

Uninstall the graphics driver and all other ati software such as catalyst control center

I have reviewed prior cases of MSE users running Vista who suffered black screen after login. At least one had an ATI graphics card, but at least one had NVidia and at least one had Intel. Of course no such details were provided in the majorty of cases, nor ever will be.

#8 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

Hi All, had same problem -uninstalled Microsoft Security Essentials (whilst in 'safe' mode) - rebooted; everything back to normal, Thank you Abzyx your advice really worked and helpful

You are welcome - but I would really like to know if another antivirus program was installed. Some people who suffered this problem have reported that MSE could not be uninstalled in Safe Mode (the suggestion from the other thread only disables MSE 4.9).

#9 Oliverjohn

Oliverjohn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Yes, that is quite right, when uninstalling in safe mode, a message came up to say that it could not uninstall whilst in 'safe mode only in 'normal' mode, however, I noticed that Revo uninstaller was in fact 'Uninstalling' and the whole process completed normally??? - No added anti virus

#10 Abzyx

Abzyx

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

No added anti virus

Thank you for posting back with that detail Oliverjohn! That helps to eliminate one theory about this issue: That it only happens to those who have a third-party real-time security product installed in addition to MSE. But the mysterious fact remains that some MSE users running Vista did not experience this issue after the MSE 4.9 upgrade - and as far as I know, no Windows 7 users reported black screen after login. BTW if you still prefer MSE, the previous version 4.8.204.0 is currently still available for download at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download. Of course you should not allow Windows Update to install updates automatically in that case! Someone at Vista Forums has reported success installing the MSE 4.9.218.0 upgrade in an unconventional way: http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/304379-update-microsoft-security-essentials-4-9-218-0-kb3140527-4.html#post1406460. You could test that theory if you are feeling adventurous.

#11 albertz393

albertz393

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:33 AM

I'm running Windows Vista 64-bit (SP2) that's a fresh install and having the same problem with the black screen. This is a fresh install with no other programming installed other than what's installed by Microsoft.

After installing MSE version 4.9 from Windows Updates and rebooting. The PC takes additional time to get to the user password window. After entering a password there is a blue screen with a message "Configuring Desktop" after which a black screen and then nothing.

Normally when logging into to Windows there is a black screen from 1/2 to 2 seconds then the Windows Desktop is loaded.

I also tried installing the various security patches with zero results.

Luckily I had saved a system restore point before installing MSE 4.9 and I was able to go back to an earlier 4.8 version that has no problems.

If for some reason (I have had this happen in the past) system restore fails and you didn't create a backup image of the install, I haven't found any method to login to a Vista MSE 4.9 install. Usually a complete new install is required. Vista potentially can take a long time to install especially if there are many updates. SP1 has over 600mb updates, SP2 varys depending on which updates are already installed.

My video drivers are Intel, installed from the Windows Vista installation disc.

I also tried using msconfig to disable loading MSE 4.9 during startup, this worked for ver. 4.8 but not ver. 4.9.

MSE can be removed while in safe mode. I needed to uninstall MSE at one time from another Vista installation. I used IObit uninstaller which deleted the MSE files.

You can also try using Revo uninstaller.

If for some reason after logging back in Vista sees MSE  as installed the os uninstaller and installer most likely will not work. If this happens find a MSE installation exe file and use a /U (uninstall switch) inside of an administrator command terminal,  this should bypass any errors produced when trying to uninstall MSE from the OS.

I haven't been able to  find MSE  4.8 64-bit version for download only MSE 4.8 32-bit.

Edited by albertz393, 19 July 2016 - 02:35 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users