Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TeslaCrypt? File extension unchanged

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 tlsk

tlsk

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:25 PM

We were recently hit with a ransom-ware virus that encrypted a significant number of files on our fileshare.  We took the computer off the network and wiped it - which, in hindsight may have been premature because now we can't get the ransom note.  McAfee did not detect the virus.

I tried using the ransomware detector linked at the top of the forum but received a notice that I'd been blocked - perhaps because of the + sign in the filename that was mentioned in another post... (CloudFlare Ray ID: 28bd7a3f0b3e1ff4).  In any case, it placed text files into nearly all directories with this filename:  +REcovER+qypua+ (both .png and .txt files)

The files all begin with this verbiage: 

All of your files are encrypted with RSA-4096.
More information about the RSA algorythm can be found here:   <<URL follows>>

Decrypting of your files is only possible with the private key and decrypt program, which is on our secret server.
To receive your private key follow one of the links:

I hesitate to include the links, etc. because I haven't had a chance to read all the rules of the site.  Please let me know how to send the files themselves and I can upload them.

If anyone knows of tools that can decrypt the files or of a company that specializes in this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

TN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,479 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:49 PM

I've resolved the bug that prevented "+" from being recognized, but that wouldn't cause a block from CloudFlare.

The name of that ransom note matches that of TeslaCrypt 4.0 I'm afraid, which has no known solution at this time. Restoring from backups or paying the ransom are your only options, or backing up data and hoping for the future.

You can confirm by opening a few encrypted files in a hex editor. You should see "0000000000000000[16 random hex]0000000000000000", then a long hex number that is the public key, typically starting with "04" (because of the ECHD curve it is on), followed by more 0's. All files will have the same contents for the first chunk.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 tlsk

tlsk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

DS,

Thanks for the prompt reply - what is the typical turnaround time for a solution?  I'm sure it's not good news but I'm curious - are we looking at months, years, or nevers?

Also - I slicked the computer that was the original vector so I don't have their ransom file.  Any idea how to workaround that?  My backup ran and backed up the bad files over the good.  I'm positively sick about it.

Edited by tlsk, 30 March 2016 - 02:33 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:38 PM

TeslaCrypt 4.0 no longer uses an obvious extension for encrypted filenames...although when first released it used the .mp3 extension. TeslaCrypt 4.0 will leave files (ransom notes) with names like RECOVER+[random].TXT, RECOVER[5-random].TXT, recover_file.txt, _rEcOvEr_[5-random].txt, +-HELP-RECOVER-+[5-random]-+.txt and +REcovER+[5-random].txt. More information in this BC News article: TeslaCrypt 4.0 Released with Bug Fixes and Stops Adding Extensions.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where you can ask questions and seek further assistance but as noted above there is no solution to fix your encrypted files yet.When or if a solution is discovered, that information will be provided in the support topic and you will receive notification if subscribed to it. In addition, a news article most likely will be posted on the BleepingComputer front page.

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the support topic discussion. Doing that will also ensure you receive proper assistance from our crypto malware experts since they may not see this thread. To avoid unnecessary confusion...this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users