Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reloading a laptop OS from an ISO file

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that's about 5 years old. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit pre-installed. I would like to reload the OS. I have a set of CD's that I made which will allow me to bring the machine back to its out-of-the-box state. However, Acer puts software and utilities on the computer, along with Microsoft Office, that I don't use. I saw a reference in this forum recently about doing a clean install of the OS using an ISO file from the Microsoft web site, using the Product ID key that came with the machine to show that I currently have a valid copy of the program.

If this is indeed possible, what types of problems am I likely to encounter while doing this? In addition to the Acer restore disks, I also have a separate disk with drivers.

Thanks in advance.

UPDATE - I just looked on the Microsoft web site and it appears that they no longer provide downloads of ISO files for Windows 7. Does anyone have an ISO for the Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit that they can send to me?

Edited by Warthog-Fan, 30 March 2016 - 12:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,089 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

Hi. . .

Since you're reinstalling Windows 7 anyway, it would not hurt to try the Microsoft ISO, although I am unsure if it will activate with an OEM keycode.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

If the Windows 7 installation doesn't work or you can't activate it, then use your Acer recovery discs.

The only thing that comes to mind is the Acer recovery partition. You should have a recovery partition on your hard drive. Using the Microsoft Windows 7 ISO to install Windows would likely wipe out (delete) the recovery partition. You can try during W7 installation using the Microsoft W7 ISO to leave the recovery partition in-tact.

Furthermore, it is likely that if you end up using your Acer recovery discs, it would "rebuild" the recovery partition; not sure.

It is up to you, but I would try the Microsoft W7 ISO first.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

EDIT: I would advise against using the drivers CD as they are probably outdated. Go to Acer Support for any drivers that you need.

http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

`

Edited by jcgriff2, 30 March 2016 - 12:45 PM.

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

System Reserved partition, if it's in use, will be rebuilt.  I thought if one specifies C-partition as to where Windows should be installed, Windows will leave the Factory Recovery partition alone -- unless one formats the entire hard-drive.  There's also the matter of Acer Aspire's many drivers, however, that can be overcome.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 March 2016 - 12:48 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:06 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the quick response.

I followed the link to the download site for the Windows 7 ISO, but when I entered my product key and hit Verify, I received the message that my version was factory-installed and I should contact the manufacturer for recovery options.

So it looks like I'm back to using the Acer recovery disks. I believe that I have the option of restoring only the OS, without altering the data files that are on the HD. My question, then, would be, if I reinstall only the OS, will it be at the same level that it was at when I purchased it; i.e. it still needs all of the updates that were issued since the computer was manufactured? And will any PUPs and other junkware that were resident on the HD that were slowing the system down be gone and ineffective?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:14 PM

Please make at least one backup if not two of your data folders/files onto at least one if not two external media devices before attempting to restore OS.  Or, do you have two partitions, one OS and one data?  Doesn't matter, make backups anyway.   :)

PUPs and junkware will drop off during Windows reinstall; however, if one adds everything back concerning 3rd party programs and utilities -- quite possibly PUPs and junkware will at least partially return.

Edited by RolandJS, 30 March 2016 - 01:17 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#6 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Roland,

Thanks. I'll make sure that all data is backed up before I start anything.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 02:28 PM

I saw a reference in this forum recently about doing a clean install of the OS using an ISO file from the Microsoft web site, using the Product ID key that came with the machine to show that I currently have a valid copy of the program.

I am sure there are many, many posts on doing a clean install.  Maybe if you post a link to the "reference" we would know which one you are referring to.  For that matter, I posted recently about a workaround you can use to download a Windows 7 ISO.  You will be downloading the ISO from Microsoft's servers so you can be assured it's genuine.  You have to act fast because there is no telling when this workaround may stop working.

If this is indeed possible, what types of problems am I likely to encounter while doing this?

None, AFAIK.  Although I have never had to, you may have do a phone activation.

#8 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

I followed a link above and got access to a Microsoft page to download the ISO file, but when I entered my Key for confirmation that I was a legitimate owner, I got a message telling me that since my copy of Windows 7 Home Premium was factory-installed, I would have to contact Acer to get recovery media. (I've already got that.)

Does the download source that you are referring to allow me to get around this problem?

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,520 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:01 AM

I forgot, did you get Acer's OEM Windows with the computer, or, did you purchase the OEM Windows disk pack later?  It's midnight here, and I've only had one cup of coffee so far.  Reason for asking:  I purchased my OEM Windows pack later from a 3rd party retailer, an "OEM Windows maker" for Acer, and my disk 3 of 5 failed to work, rendering the whole set unusable.  If you got it with the computer - hopefully it will work flawlessly.

#10 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:41 AM

Mate just remember that the oem key is normally tied to a certificate in the bios. So use the install disk, register Windows and then uninstall all their crap you don't want and open device manager and update drivers.

Forgot to add productid and key are 2 different things mate.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 31 March 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#11 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:12 AM

Guys,

1) The computer came with Windows 7 Home Premium pre-installed. I had to use the utility on the computer to create system restore DVDs. No DVDs came with the computer.

2) Yes, I found out yesterday that the Product ID and the Key were not the same thing. Fortunately, the key number was on a tag on the bottom of the computer.

3) I'd like to download the ISO but Microsoft won't let me do it because I have an OEM version that came pre-installed. They told me to contact Acer for the recovery media. I'm relatively sure that these will be the same as the disks that I created myself...if they are even still available.

I'm beginning to wonder if I might be better off to buy a copy of Windows 7 Pro 64-bit from eBay and install it instead of reinstalling the Home Version. I'd probably have a better OS and the cost isn't all that bad.

#12 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:24 AM

There are five simple step to reload a laptop OS from an ISO file

• Download the ISO file for the version of Windows7 you own
  • Download the Windows7 USB/DVD download tool.
  • Boot your laptop/PC victimization the Windows seven videodisk or USB flash drive. 
  • Follow the prompts to arrange the destination disc drive and install Windows.
  • Your windows is ready

For more help just visit http://www.askpctechies.com/

victimization?  videodisk?  Have you been smoking or something?

#13 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

Does the download source that you are referring to allow me to get around this problem?

Yes, it does.  That is why I said it's a workaround.

#14 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Upon thinking about it some more, I believe that I will upgrade to Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Can anyone tell me if there is a disadvantage to going to this OS on a laptop, as opposed to sticking with the Home Premium; i.e., does Home Premium have any features that would make it better for a portable machine?

#15 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Why would you need pro version? Unless its going on a domain mate its not worth it.

did you need management snapins or anything in particular? If not then just sue home edition.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users