Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

My wireless adapter keeps disconnecting from the network

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have an older Acer Veriton M2 computer running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I recently moved it to the basement, meaning that I had to establish my internet connection with a wireless adapter, rather than the Ethernet connection that I had used before. I purchased a TRENDnet wireless device from the local computer store and installed it without difficulty. It works great....once I manually connect it to the wireless network.

At power up, it appears that the device connects to the network because I get the "signal bars" in the status pane at the lower right portion of the screen. However, after boot-up is complete, the status bars have an asterisk on them, which indicates that there is no wireless network connection. I have to click on it and then select the network and click the Connect button. Then it connects and everything works great. However, when I put the  computer into Sleep mode, when I start it up again, the same thing happens and I have to reconnect to the network again.

I looked in the TRENDnet utility, but I could not see anything that related to turning the network interface on or off.

I took a look at the Network and Sharing section of Control Panel - specifically Wireless Network Connection Status. Under that I looked in Adapter Properties - Power Management. I saw that there was a check box to allow the wireless interface to be turned off to save power. I unchecked that box and then tried again. Same thing.

Are there other settings in Windows that I am not aware of that might cause the network to be disabled on power-up or after coming out of Sleep? I contacted the TRENDnet tech support line one other time on a different product, but wasn't really all that happy with their service, so I thought that I'd ask here first.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users