Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown devices paired via Bluetooth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gm1138

gm1138

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

Today I looked at my Bluetooth settings on my Surface Pro 3 and noticed there were two devices paired to my computer that I don't recognize. One was an LG keyboard phone, another is a computer. I removed both devices. I have never authorized these devices to connect and I am the only user of my computer.

Is this a cause for concern? What access could these devices gain in this way? I leave my Bluetooth on all the time, is that unwise?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by gm1138, 30 March 2016 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Set up a wi-fi protected access.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420002,00.asp

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2547129/mobile-wireless/tutorial--how-to-set-up-wpa2-on-your-wireless-network.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:20 PM

Those links are regarding wpa security on wireless networks. I don't understand how they relate to Bluetooth pairing?

Edited by gm1138, 30 March 2016 - 01:24 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/secure-your-bluetooth-wireless-networks-and-protect-your-data/

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 gm1138

gm1138
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

Ok thanks. I still don't see more than a general relation to the first two links, but the third link basically says Bluetooth is highly vulnerable if not configured properly:

• Already done: Configure devices so that the user has to approve any connection request
  • Answers one of my questions: Turn off Bluetooth when not in use
  • Not configurable (unless this refers to discovery mode): Do not operate Bluetooth devices in Mode 1;
    Already done: ensure discovery mode is enabled only when necessary to pair trusted devices
  • Not configurable: Trusted devices should be paired in safe environments out of the reach of malicious elements
  • Not configurable: Minimize the range of devices to the shortest reasonable distance
  • Already done: Consider installing anti-virus and personal firewall software on each Bluetooth device

Windows 8.1's Bluetooth settings are minimal at best:

• "Allow Bluetooth devices to find this PC" is already unchecked.
  • "Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect" is already checked.
  • (Windows 7's "Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer" doesn't exist in 8.1.)
  • I also have Avast Antivirus running on the computer since day one. Virus scans are fine according to two other products.
  • I will now turn off Bluetooth when not in use (rarely used).

So unless I'm misunderstanding, it seems these settings aren't working as described, because I had two devices paired which I never authorized. Which still leaves the questions: Is this something I should be concerned about or is it a problem inherent to Windows 8.1? Could either of these devices which paired with my computer have accessed or altered my data?

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users