Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE11 install fails with Code 9C59

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:41 AM

I am working on an HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF that was ordered with a downgrade from Win10 Pro to Win7 Pro (64-bit) instead.  It's got an i5-6500 processor and 8GB of RAM.

It came with good, old IE8.  Every attempt I've made to upgrade to IE11 fails and the latest via Windows Update provided me with the code noted in the subject and says "Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

I'm wondering if this particular error code, or situation, rings a bell with anyone and if they may be able to offer guidance.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,583 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Are the prerequisite updates installed on the computer? Did you try installing the standalone IE11 exe?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2847882

If the computer has the prerequisite updates then see if the Windows Update Readiness Tool helps. 

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

John,

I did not go one-by-one through the updates, but the machine has been running automatic Windows Updates since it was "put online" out of the box about 30 days ago.  The IE11 install is failing whether it's Windows Update itself that's trying to apply it or whether I'm doing it manually.

I was hoping this might "ring a bell" for someone such that I'd get an, "Oh, yes, that usually means you have to do . . .," kind of response.  But this appears to be a black box based upon the number of times the initial query was read versus the single response.

At the moment I know the client should still be under warranty with HP.  I am actually rather shocked that they shipped a Win7 machine that had not already had the upgrade to IE11 applied before it ever left "the factory."   I have instructed the client to contact HP support about this, as I really think this should be their problem and she should not be spending money to solve an issue that should never have presented itself in the first place.

I appreciate the assistance and if anyone does have that bell of recognition ring or that lightbulb illuminate above your head on this issue please let me know your thoughts.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 09:12 PM

FWIW:  Today, I did a clean install of Win 7 Home Premium on my other desktop.  IE 8, SP1 was not installed.

First...I had to install new Windows Update software.

Then...I had to download/install from desktop SP1.

Then, IE 11.  Even though I saw IE 11 install...when I check my browser version, it reflects IE 8 right now.  I still have the IE download on my desktop and will try it again after all critical updates finish.  Something is amiss with Windows Update.

Then 160 or so critical updates. a process which has taken most of the day/night :).  Still going. (146 of 156) :).

I've not received any error messages at all, other than those which requested installation of whatever at a given point.

Louis

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

Louis,

Thanks for this additional info.  In the case of the machine I had been working on I verified that SP1 had indeed been installed (or at least when you looked at the System Configuration information it indicated SP1).

What is really peculiar is that the IE11 manual update program appears to have worked perfectly, getting all the way through, "You need to restart the computer," message, and when you restart no messages at all show up and IE8 is still in place.  It was only by happenstance that I got the screen with the error code I noted on one of the Windows Update attempts to install IE11.  When you look at update history you do see that it's failed each and every time it's been tried (the owner had tried repeatedly before finally giving up).

This is just beyond bizarre.  I can't count how many IE updates I've done over the years and this is the only one that fails, as far as I'm concerned, inexplicably.

~ Lauren Bacall

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:05 AM

OK, all is well, after I left the system on all night.

The problems that I see are that the installation of all critical updates since SP1...takes an extremely long time.  The system restarts several times, the "configuring updates" screen comes up several times...when all is said and done, the installation and configuration takes much longer than it seems that it should.

IE 11 was not officially recognized by the system until I used the All Programs/Internet Explorer access, at which time the IE 11 screen came up, which indicated that it now was properly installed.

If you are not current with critical updates post-SP1, I would suggest that you install those, then try the install of IE 11.

Louis

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 10:45 AM

Louis,

I will report back if I hear anything from the client.  The computer in question is constantly connected to the internet via Ethernet and has Windows Update set to run automatically.  SP1 is installed and there are reams of updates that have occurred since then.  I could find no failures in the Windows Update log except for the IE11 update and that's been going on for weeks now.

I still can't believe that a new machine that was intentionally downgraded to ship with Win7 Pro rather than Win10 Pro did not ship with IE11 already installed.  It's mind-boggling, actually.

~ Lauren Bacall

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,230 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:18 AM

From what I see....your cited error requires more knowledge/expertise dealing with Windows Update problems...than I possess.

The following is provided as an indication of what I mean...please...DO NOT follow any of the instructions provided to the OP of the Posted Topic.

Louis

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,787 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 12:09 PM

Louis,

Thanks for the reading material.  At this point I've told the client to toss this back in HP's lap, as I cannot see how they could justify sending out a brand new machine that had not had all required Win7 updates applied prior to shipment.  They should not be spending their money on having me fix a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place.

If I have to eventually get involved further I will, but I'm hoping that HP will end up stepping up to the plate on this.  The computer is not even 2 months old!

Brian

~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users