Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

JAVA update in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:51 AM

I ask because now unsure if anything special to know, although I was advised what to do if in Windows Vista.  I now wonder if there is anything new or different, about updating JAVA for Windows 10 compared to Windows Vista.  

The new, two-month old computer here with Windows 10  (a desktop type) is showing an icon in the task tray indicating a JAVA update is available.  Looking through Control Panel, the version present on the computer currently is version 8 update 73.  I used to know for Vista purposes, to go to the Oracle or JAVA website, look at a list of downloadable JAVA installers, pick the offline version of the installer I wanted, and then I would:

1. Download the installer to the desktop
  2. Uninstall the currently installed JAVA
  3. Restart the computer
  4. Run the installer for the new JAVA
  5. Restart the computer again
  6. And that would be the finish.

Is anything different about this for Windows 10?  How do I know which version to pick to download?  Do I pick for 32-bit or for 64-bit?  The computer is 64-bit type but in the File Explorer, there is a Program Files folder, and also a Program Files (x86) folder, too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:44 AM

In terms of browsing the web Java is unnecessary, because on the web JavaScript is used to display Java elements. Installing Java onto your computer can be a potential exposure to security threats, seeing as Java is popularly used in viruses or malware. Java just allows you to run software written in Java, and you may be surprised by how few websites and programs actually require Java, since almost all of them use JavaScript.

If you still do wish to install it though (for whatever reason), just pick the same version (32 or 64 bit) as your operating system. A 64 bit Windows OS always has two program files folders. One for 32 bit programs (Program Files x86), and one for 64 bit programs (Program Files).

But just know that if you don't really need it, don't install it! :killcomp:

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:09 AM

In terms of browsing the web Java is unnecessary, because on the web JavaScript is used to display Java elements.

You know that Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing, nor related at all, right?

And you can download Java the same way as before. The 32-bit and 64-bit isn't relevant to your Windows version, but web browser. If you use Mozilla Firefox for instance, you'll want to download Java 32-bit, since Firefox is 32-bit. If you use Google Chrome 64-bit however, you'll want to use Java 64-bit. It all comes down to the web browser you use.

Also, like stated above, if you don't need/use Java, do not install it. It's just an additional security hole on a system, updated or not.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 Foldingchair

Foldingchair

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:33 AM

In terms of browsing the web Java is unnecessary, because on the web JavaScript is used to display Java elements.

You know that Java and JavaScript aren't the same thing, nor related at all, right?

Yes, don't I clarify that in my post?

Java just allows you to run software written in Java, and you may be surprised by how few websites and programs actually require Java, since almost all of them use JavaScript.

As mentioned here. :)

"Peace and blessings be upon you all."

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:54 AM

Nope, you didn't say that at all.

JavaScript is used to display Java elements.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 12:30 AM

There are JAVA folders found in both the Program Files folder (for assuming to be 64-bit program) AND in the Program Files x86 folder.  I would assume that if I want to update whatever JAVA runtime environments is/are on the windows 10 machine, I would download and install both of them  (as long as I first uninstall what are currently installed on the machine, first).

The plan right now is to go through Windows Control Panel and uninstall whatever item I find for JAVA, but there is only one single listing in Control Panel.

--- A quick recheck -- BOTH javas are listed in Control Panel.

Edited by cafejose, 02 April 2016 - 12:31 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:18 AM

jose, do you need Java? Are you using it for anything?

unite_blue.png

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:04 PM

jose, do you need Java? Are you using it for anything?

I believe JAVA is not needed for anything that is or will be run on this machine , so which is why I plan to uninstall them  (but still have not done so yet).  I have kept JAVA off of my own computer for more than half a year now and never feel a lack for any of it.  There was a website which I had used which required JAVA be installed, but I have found another way around that.

My main concern here was about anything different to know about INSTALLING UPDATED JAVA JRE in Windows 10.  The answer seems to be, just do as I had been advised for doing the updating in Windows Vista.  That was, download the right installer, uninstall JAVA jre, restart, run the installer for the new JAVA jre, restart, and that is the done process.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2016 - 10:23 PM

There's no special process when it comes to installing Java. Personally, what I do is that I uninstall the old version, download the installer for the new one, and proceed to install it. If I notice the updater asking me to update, I just use it. There's no need to restart your computer at all in the process.

unite_blue.png

#10 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

Java uninstalls previous versions of itself when you allow the updater to work as designed. It (the Java popup window) will install the most recent version and uninstall any earlier versions found, it's been this way for awhile now. IMO Java's way of removing older, possibly at risk versions from any computer it's installed on.

P.S. I'm running W10 Home x64 1511 10586.164

Edited by CmmTch, 03 April 2016 - 04:15 PM.

Steve

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:32 PM

As long as you have Java installed on your system (patched or not), it's a security hole sadly. I recently had to install it since Netacad requires it, and you can be sure that I'll uninstall it as soon as I'm done with my CCNA course.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users