Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard error code "FF"?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ogasdd

ogasdd

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:38 PM

Lets see.... This is the first time I owned a custom built computer.

I couldn't really build one up to the specs I wanted so I was content with playing on a laptop I can afford.

My friend who spent over 5+ grand to build computer few years back is moving over sea so he left me all of the computer except for his limited edition graphic card and hard drive which I replaced.

When I turned on the monitor it said no DVI signal.

So I was just checking cables and such... Made sure everything is connected the way it was supposed to be and I called my friend.

Before asking here I've spent about 4 hours doing various things under my friend (the original Owner's instruction) to pull out replace all Ram, Graphic, Internet card to different slots and such. Pull them all out to see if motherboard works. Reset BIOS. Checking to make sure right cables have been connected to power and motherboard... Tried Google the issue and no answer available.

So now I've been trying to get this to work but with my dismal amount of knowledge amount of computer I've decided it would be better use of my time if I asked forum.

Current spec of the computer is.

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Black Edition.

CPU: Inter i7 (My friend cannot remember except for the fact it costed him $1,500 when he built it)

Graphic Card: GEFORCE GTX 750 Ti

Ram: total 4gb ram with 2x 2g Ram inserted. (Or so I think he told me, There are more RAMs which I have not bother to use.)

Hm... Is there anything more I need to list?

Please help me to get this computer working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:00 AM

FF seems to be the last test run by the BIOS and is thought to mean Fault Free or Fully Functional. One user fixed it by slightly loosening his heatsink which would be consistent with a CPU socket problem.
Here's their support page and the codes are listed in the users manual (slow website though):
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_III_BLACK_EDITION/
Did he change anything or has it never worked?
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:44 AM

I see that you have posted this topic at another website.  You have a response which looks like it may be worth following.

Was this computer dissembled when you got it? 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:39 PM

I have not posted any this topic at any other website. In fact bleeping computer is the only place I come by.

Computer was not dissembled when I got it. It was just missing Graphic card and the Hard Drive.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 03:57 PM

I, then, would be highly suspicious of the CPU socket. Remove the heatsink and CPU then seriously inspect the sockets contacts.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

I have not posted any this topic at any other website. In fact bleeping computer is the only place I come by.

https://hardforum.com/threads/motherboard-error-code-ff.1895680/ :whistle:

Can you boot into the BIOS?

How did you install Windows?  I'm assuming you installed Windows.

At this point I don't believe the problem is related to the CPU.  We need more information before jumping to conclusions.  Please hold off on pulling the CPU.

Edited by dc3, 31 March 2016 - 07:24 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:48 PM

Hm... I have been busy recently and have not been able to find time to mess with my computer.

IF there is any other post that is same as mine like the link you have, that is not me.

Anyways, no I cannot boot into BIOS. In fact nothing shows up on the screen.

In any case I went through whatever I could find on web including this video "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mozjsCnHrXQ" and few other posts but nothing worked. I've pulled out and put everything together including CPU but still nothing.

Now I'm suspecting there may be something wrong with my graphic card but I have no way to test.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:16 AM

Sure you do. You need to connect a speaker to the front panel connector, remove your video card, and see if you get an error beep or, the systemboard, at least, changes it's error display. Its on page 2-41
Zipped users manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1366/Rampage_III_Black_Edition/E6488_Rampage_III_Black_Edition.zip?_ga=1.160986109.1391204934.1463659545
Did you get out a magnifying glass and REALLY inspect the CPU socket for bent pins?

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 19 May 2016 - 07:16 AM.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:24 AM

IF there is any other post that is same as mine like the link you have, that is not me.

The content of your first post seems to have been scraped (stolen for use on another website) by a link spammer who was active in late March. I find him making numerous posts around that time, including another where he did the same thing with someone else's problem from sevenforums. Since it does look like a theft and copyright breach, I'll report it to Admin, but can't say if it can be rectified. At least it does no real harm, just confusing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

Yes I've inspected CPU socket as thoroughly as possible again after reading your post but there was no bent pins.

I have no speakers because I didn't have it so I used heat set and ear phone to see if there was sound but no sound.

I've spent past two days reading over the manual, and re plugged few things in. I've pulled CPU graphics card and re inserted and for some reason I had error code 37 thiis time so I've looked around and it mentioned RAM card so I re inserted ram card as well.. Now it show 00 whiich means Not Used.... Am I done???

I reconnected the monitor but it says it is not picking up DVI signal....

Is there separate problem here?

Edited by ogasdd, 23 May 2016 - 10:26 AM.

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

I was talking about an old-style, internal computer speaker that would plug into the systemboard:

http://www.suntekpc.com/htm-2/speaker-pc-internal-xxx-round-2.25-inch-8-ohm-xxx.htm

It would give you beep codes

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 23 May 2016 - 10:28 AM.

#12 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:57 AM

Ahhh... Since I don't have one of those what should I do?

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Do you have another video card you can try?

And/or are SW1 thru 4 all pointing the same way (meaning enabled)?

#14 ogasdd

ogasdd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

I do not have any other graphic card and none of my friends have one either.

Yes they are all pointing same way. 

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

I think you are having a problem with the GTX750TI card. Who made it and what is its part number?
Most of that card have a power connector on the top which needs to have power plugged into it. Its usually a black, six pin socket. Are you plugging power into it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users