Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Card Is Toast?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DAWWWWG

DAWWWWG

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:04 PM

Hello all. I am writing this for a problem I am having with brothers computer. First of all a little about the computer. It is an HP Pavilion with an Intel Celeron processor purchased about 4 years ago. It has Windows XP with all the updates installed. The computer quit working 8/1/2006. My brother calls Charter the area broadband internet provider. They tell him his internet speed is fine and that the media card is done for. Ok Now comes the question. What is the media card and should it be replaceable. I am not sure exactly what the machine has quit doing other then quit the internet. I went to several sites lookin to figure out what exactly the media card is and have had no luck at all. Is it another name for another card of some sort or am I in dire trouble.
I know this doesn't provide much information and hope I am not laughed straight out of bleeping computer.com. I should be able to provide more information within the next day or 2. I am at best a novice at computer repair but I am trying.
THank you in advance for the help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

A couple of questions.

The computer quit working 8/1/2006.

I am not sure exactly what the machine has quit doing other then quit the internet.

Did the computer quit working, or did the internet connection quit working?

If the computer:
Does it boot to windows?
Can he boot to Safe Mode?
Have you installed any new hardware/software recently?
Were there any error messages?
If so, what was the exact error message?

If the internet:
What browser does he use (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.)?
Does the browser load, and if so, what happens when he clicks a link?
Does it go to a blank page, a page with an error message, or nothing happens?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 DAWWWWG

DAWWWWG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:04 PM

[color=#000000][font=Impact][size=5]Hello again. Just an update on the supposed media card problem. I am not sure who it was that my brother talked to but I found the problem and had it fixxed in about half an hour. I diagnosed the problem as the ethernet cable was bad and was right. Made a run to Walmart and picked one up and was right in no time
Thanks again for replying to this question.

Edited by DAWWWWG, 04 August 2006 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users