Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to search an Android device for specific content

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

I feel like a complete idiot for even having to ask this question, but I have never found a way that gives a satisfactory result.

I came to Android during the Froyo release directly from Palm OS.  Palm allowed you to search the entire device for a specific word or phrase in one fell swoop.  There are times that I know that I have entered something, somewhere, but cannot for the life of me remember where.  The information could be in my calendar, contacts, notes in Note Everything, or elsewhere and I'd like to be able to do a search for it such that every app that has text-based storage that is unencrypted is searched.  I have yet to achieve this goal.

Is there a native way in Android to do this?  Is there an app (or are there apps) that do this?   I'm tired of having to go into individual apps and search them one-by-one.

Brian

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mr.meyer

mr.meyer

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:47 PM

Brian,

Have you tried "Andro Search" app in Google play store? Don't know if it's what your looking for but it works fairly well.

Bill (mr.meyer)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• Topic Starter

• 7,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:44 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the recommendation.  It certainly looks close.  If he had Calendar search already implemented it would be perfect.  I actually don't want e-mail to be a part of a "global device search" because I generally want to search e-mail messages as their own thing (the same would be true of SMS).  I hated when Windows started including e-mail messages in Windows Search by default and immediately disabled that.

Brian

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users