Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep and hibernate doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zico268

zico268

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

Could you please help me with this issue. Basically whenever I want to put my PC to sleep or hibernate, the monitor goes black but the computer keeps running. I can hear at least one HDD power down, but the rest of the hardware keeps going, all the fans (CPU, GPU, case), lights etc. I can try clicking the mouse buttons, pushing some keys - nothing; it will keep running until I reset it or cut the power off.

Also, sometimes, when I try to put it to sleep and it works, the problem is that it doesn't stay asleep for too long and it turns on by itself after 5-30mins. 

I had suspected it was a messed up Windows, but recently I also formatted my drive and installed a clean Windows and the issue is still there. So I suspect either some program preventing sleep/hibernate or a faulty hardware (if it's possible, because I really don't know how it works).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:33 PM

Hi. :).

Perhaps try the following found here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/when-power-saving-fails-fixing-windows-7-hibernation-issues/

Please let us know what happens.

#3 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:29 PM

Bring up an Admin CMD prompt and type/paste the command shutdown /h -- see if it then hibernates.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:01 PM

rem hybernate on

c:\windows\system32\powercfg -h on

pause

exit

Also, there is this REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink

; http://www.sevenforums.com

; Tutorial:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]

"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000001

Edited by RolandJS, 30 March 2016 - 01:03 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 zico268

zico268
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

Ok, sorry for the delay but I finally managed to find some time to try all these things and.. well, no luck. I'll go into details below.

The problem is still the same, I only managed to put it to sleep twice and twice to hibernate out of about 15 tries over a couple of days. Each time it woke itself up after 15-25 mins. All the other tries ended up on the hardware running and me having to reset it. I just don't see a pattern, I tried with some programs running, without anything running and the results aren't any more consistent. It might go to sleep with a heavy load and won't do so without anything opened, and other way around.

Hi. :).

Perhaps try the following found here: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/when-power-saving-fails-fixing-windows-7-hibernation-issues/

Please let us know what happens.

Checked everything from this site, except I didn't do anything with the drivers, because like I said, only a couple of weeks ago I performed a clean installation of Windows and every driver is installed, up to date; and the same issue was on the old Win, so it can't be the drivers. 

As for the free space on C: I thought it might be it, because I usually have 3-5GB free :/ But I managed to free some space up to 20GB and the problem is still there. So I can cross that off the list.

With the "powercfg -devicequery wake_armed" command I got this:

HID Keyboard Device
HID-compliant mouse
Standard PS/2 Keyboard

Bring up an Admin CMD prompt and type/paste the command shutdown /h -- see if it then hibernates.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

So like I said, I managed to successfully hibernate my PC twice and the second time was when I did this, so yeah, it worked - But I only tried this method once so far and it woke up by itself too. I didn't see the point of trying this method again, because it obviously can hibernate, just very rarely, and not for longer than 30mins.

rem hybernate on

c:\windows\system32\powercfg -h on

pause

exit

Also, there is this REG file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Created by: Shawn Brink

; http://www.sevenforums.com

; Tutorial:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]

"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000001

As for this suggestion, I can't say I understand. I get that it's all about those two commands:

powercfg.exe /hibernate off

powercfg.exe /hibernate on

which I did as it's explained on the site @auto1571 provided and it still didn't help.

And I don't have the rest of the battery options because it's a PC.

As for my power option settings it looks like this:

+Sleep
 - sleep after: Never
 - allow hybrid sleep: Off  (when I switch this to On, the hibernate button disappears - so I assume Off is correct)
 - hibernate after: Never
 - allow wake timers: Disabled (Previously it was enabled, so I changed it)

The bolded bit is the curious one. Basically whenever I put this option to On the hibernate button in the start menu disappears. So with that I did the powercfg.exe /hibernate off and on so the button stays there, but it still didn't help.

Like I said I don't see the pattern. Sometimes it will go to sleep or hibernate but most of the times nothing will happen... I'm really lost here, I'm sorry I can't provide you any more useful info, but I just don't know how to go about it.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:14 AM

Is there any program defaulting to Wake Up On Lan when it's time for updating or doing something?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#7 zico268

zico268
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Is there any program defaulting to Wake Up On Lan when it's time for updating or doing something?

I'm sorry if I hadn't mentioned it before but I'm not really that fluent when it comes to all that technical stuff. I really don't know the answer. Is there a way I can check? I have never heard of Wake-on-LAN and if that's something that would have to be previously set up by me then definitely no. 

The only program that I'm have that is constantly using the internet is uTorrent, but even when it's closed I still have this issue.

Is there a way to disable that WoL option for all programs just to be sure?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

I'm at school, can't seem to find it...I'm using Windows 7 Pro; maybe somebody will tell us where to look.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users