Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome--i cannot find how to uninstall

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

i have Windows 10, and use Google Chrome as my one-and-only browser.  two days ago, i updated the newest version of Chrome.  since then, i was unable to reach the internet from the Chrome icon on my taskbar.  i keep getting a "Class not Reporting" error.  i can work around that by right-clicking on the icon, and 75% of the time, a menu pops up and i can connect to the internet.  the other 25% of the time it doesn't work, so i need to control/alt/delete.

i figured if i uninstalled Chrome, then reinstalled it, i might get a cleaner version.  here's my dilemma:  i go to control panel, then Programs....and there is no Google Chrome listed!  shouldn't it be listed if i use it to connect to the internet?

and if it is not there, and i need to uninstall it, how do i do it?

lastly, IF i get that far, and uninstall it, how do i get back onto the internet to download a clean copy, without a browser?

i hope this isn't as silly to you as it seems to me.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:41 PM

Can I suggest downloading and installing the free version of Revo Uninstaller founder here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Once opening that application can you see if Google Chrome is listed there?

#3 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

thanks for the suggestion.  i downloaded the free version of revouninstaller just now, and Google Chrome is not listed....should i start getting worried?

i have terrific malware and anti-virus programs running--Emsisoft Malware and Malwarebytes Premium.  and i have run scans through each, and nothing comes up.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

Having windows 10, you will still have access to Microsoft Edge

For now...download a fresh copy of Chrome and attempt to install it.

Tell me the outcome.

Edited by Condobloke, 29 March 2016 - 07:48 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:53 PM

i downloaded chrome again (it's actually the 6th time in 48 hours).  and the results are the same.  the chrome icon does not connect me to the internet directly.  and there is no Google Chrome listed under Programs for me to uninstall...

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:55 PM

I have Revo Uninstaller Pro, pay-for.  It lists Google Chrome.  However, Google Chrome installation is in my C:\Programs Files (x86) folder, go figure.

Edited by RolandJS, 29 March 2016 - 07:56 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 auto1571

auto1571

• Members
  • 296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:56 PM

Where does the Chrome icon direct you to instead when you click on the chrome icon?

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:57 PM

Click on the start button, All Apps,  Chrome........right click on it and select uninstall

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

...chrome icon does not connect me to the internet directly...

Is Microsoft Internet Explorer [either 32 bit or 64 bit executable] working?  Reason for asking:  Windows, IE, Internet Options are the gateway combine to the internet, if the Windows/IE/Internet Options combine is not working correctly, that can close down Chrome operations as well.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#10 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

when i select uninstall, it takes me to Control Panel/Programs.  but nothing even close to Google or Chrome is listed.

when i click on the chrome icon, i get an error message that says something like Class Not reporting.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:01 PM

Revo Uninstaller Pro will work for you.  However, that does not address why Chrome and The 'Net are not cooperating.

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

How comfortable are you with working in the registry ?

If you are comfortable....SET A SYSTEM RESTORE POINT......or better still...have a BACKUP to an external drive.

HERE    

if you are not comfortable with doing this...DO NOT ATTEMPT IT.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#13 bob n steve

bob n steve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:09 PM

gotta be honest, that scares me.  i am pretty ignorant about computers.  i did hope to try System restore, like i used to do in previous Windows versions.  but i found out today that there is no automatic system restore in windows 10.  i would have had to set that up myself manually BEFORE any of this happened.  kinda like closing the barn door after the horses escaped...

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:11 PM

Ok....Understood.

Give me a few minutes

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:15 PM

TRY THIS

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users