Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Boots Up For About 4 Seconds Then Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rippin

Rippin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

I recently performed a Clean Install of Win. 10 on a previously Win. 8 laptop. The problem I'm having is that when the laptop is not connected with the power cord it will start the boot process for about 4 seconds and then will just shut off. It doesn't get past the initial "Gateway" logo with the loading circle. If I then connect the power cord and boot the laptop after trying to start it without the cord, it will boot up properly but once I try to log in to my windows user account it will restart itself or just shutdown. Sometimes it will restart a few times before finally running correctly. After it stops restarting itself with the power cord connected, I shut it down, boot it up again (still connected) and now it starts right on the first try. So if I just keep starting it after that while it is connected there is no problems. If I disconnect the power cord while the laptop is on, it will not shut down and holds a charge perfectly.

I had this problem when it had Win 8 and is why I did the upgrade thinking it might be a software problem. I'm in the middle of trying to calibrate the battery by charging to 100% and then letting it die. I'm pretty sure this won't help but its something that I can try for now. THanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

It does sound like a battery related problem.  How old is the battery?  They normally have a life of 300 charge/discharge cycles.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 Rippin

Rippin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 04 April 2016 - 03:41 AM

The battery is pretty old but the laptop has had this problem since I first got it so I haven't used it for a couple years now.  Sent it in to manufacturer back then and they said they had fixed the problem, shipped it back, and it started doing the same thing shortly after.  Warranty ran out and I just gave up on it till now.  I ran a scan on the battery to see how many cycles it had gone through, but it didn't show how many cycles it had.  It said something like Charging cycles and then there was just a hyphen - where the number of cycles should be listed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users