Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rogue Killer won't install on XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Geekenstein

Geekenstein

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Windows XP, Avast free, Malwarebytes Free

A few months ago, I ran Rogue Killer and it found some nasties I got rid of. I also run Malwarebytes. Back to Normal.

Now, Rogue Killer won't install. For a while I couldn't even get it to download. I eventually did today.
But when I click on the setup.exe file, it goes to a dialog box that asks me the language, and when I select that, it does nothing. It is present on the taskbar, but there is no activity I can discern. Repeated attempts, same result. In the Task Manager, there is a setup.exe and setup.tmp, but they don't appear to have any activity.

With Malwarbytes, I find the same (or similar) PUM.Optional.ProxyHijacker with a http=127.0.0.1:5577. It quarantines it, but it recurs. I can't tell if there is a lot of it out there, or I'm not killing it completely.
I hate to keep doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

Any clues?

Thanks.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 March 2016 - 01:04 PM.
moved from XP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

One of the first things would be to un-install the prog you have now and try to download again.  If it still acts strange, the virus (whatever) is blocking your attempts to eradicate it.  Boot to the safe mode and then run the anti- virus you have on board, without the network.  The first step would be to isolate it so it can't call home and install even more bad things.

#3 Geekenstein

Geekenstein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:45 PM

Finally figured it out.

Setup was only creating Roguekiller.exe, I had to start that.

That took quite a while, and there was no indication it was doing anything. So I got to another task, and by and by, Rk showed up.

Found a few things, and got rid of them.

Case closed.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:46 PM

Persistence pays off. Glad to hear you resolved the issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users