Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Beat It

Beat It

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my new (yes, new...) laptop. Ever since yesterday shutting it off has been such a hassle. When I try to shut it off, nothing happens. But when I try the second time, the computer shuts off with no problem. Does anyone know the reason why it does this? Any suggestion will be great appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 12:57 AM

What was the last program you installed, just before this started happening? It sounds like a program hanging ad shut down. When you use shut down you only kill the program. The next time when the shutdown work it is because you kill the bad program. I would use the restore point just before the event. Also check the Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools. It may lend a clue.

Start> Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 happy_soil

happy_soil

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my new (yes, new...) laptop. Ever since yesterday shutting it off has been such a hassle. When I try to shut it off, nothing happens. But when I try the second time, the computer shuts off with no problem. Does anyone know the reason why it does this? Any suggestion will be great appreciated.

Strange. Ok here's my suggestion:

Right-mouse click on the desktop, then from the menu pick "shortcut".

Posted Image

Then, a popup window will open. On the input box, type shutdown.exe -s -t 05.

Posted Image

After that, you can rename that shortcut to any name.

That's it. Now you have a quick access to the shutdown button.
Btw, i got this tip from this forum too:P I just forgot where it is.

Enjoy=)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users