Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Filtering zip files as spam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Robert_F

Robert_F

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

I am a novice when it comes to computers and IT so maybe I am missing something obvious. I did a search and did not find this addressed.

About 10 of the 30 emails I receive everyday include zip files I presume include ramsomeware. I also receive a couple of zip files from legitimate sources over the course of a year. Is there a way to send zip files to a junk mail folder before someone might accidentally open one up? If I could safe list the trusted sources that would be a bonus.

I use Outlook 2016 and a Norton Security Suite that came with the computer. Neither seems to be able to do this. Do I need a different spam software? Any recommendations?

Thank you,

Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:53 PM

About 10 of the 30 emails I receive everyday include zip files I presume include ramsomeware.

Lucky you (from a Malware Hunter perspective) :P

Sadly, Outlook's rules doesn't allow you to specify the type of attachments (just if the email have one or not). However, it seems like it's possible to create a small script called by the rule that will check whether or not the attachment is a .zip, and if it is, send it to the spam folder.

https://techniclee.wordpress.com/2013/06/18/send-messages-with-zip-file-attachments-to-junk-mail/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:27 PM

Malware uses the enabled default function: Compressed (ZIP) folders and Cab folders are enabled by default to have their content expand and display in Windows Explorer folder view like normal folders.

Disable Explorer Folder View of Cab and Zip Files in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/13619-zip-folders-enable-disable-windows-explorer-view.html

How to Enable or Disable "Show Extracted Files when Complete" from ZIP in Windows. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/209084-zip-extracted-files-window-enable-disable.html

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users