Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB port doesn't work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RekNepZ

RekNepZ

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 12:13 PM

So a few days ago I was using my ASUS laptop as usual, but I had to get up to grab something. It seemed I lifted the computer wrong or something, because the whole thing suddenly shut down. When I loaded it back up, everything was normal; except that I could no longer use my mouse, or any other USB device. When I plug them in to any of my 3 USB ports (even the one on the other side of the computer which I never use), the computer makes no acknowledgment of any change. No sound, nothing pops-up on "My Computer", nothing.

I've done nearly everything I could find on the internet, but it still won't work. The USB drivers show up on device manager, but they still don't work right even after disabling and re-enabling, uninstalling and reinstalling, or updating. I even tried a complete reset yesterday, but the USB port STILL won't work.

I talked to a computer repairman, and he says that it's because of a virus and the only way to fix it would be completely reinstalling Windows, but I want a second opinion before I try anything too drastic.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:02 PM

Welcome,

If everything else is and continues to work it isn't a virus. This does not mean that it isn't an infection of another type. Physical relocation of the unit seems like an odd way to trigger an infection. A more likely suspect might be that something inside the case moved and is shorting out the ports. 

If you are comfortable with opening the case and blowing it out that might solve the problem. I'd suggest tipping it the opposite way but while it 'might' solve the existing problem it could cause a worse one.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to tools that would let me open the case.

It may be worth noting, though, that before this problem, I had troubles with USB devices getting disconnected every time I physically shifted the computer. This might have something to do with the issue.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:13 PM

sounds like either loose connections or components. In either case it will require access to the interior to repair.

I'd talk to a different repairman about doing the hardware fix. Wouldn't want the first one to to a total reinstall and discover his solution didn't fix the problem.

Dick

Dick E

#5 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:23 PM

Okay. I'll try that. Thanks for the help!

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2016 - 04:26 PM

Keep us posted

Dick

Dick E

#7 RekNepZ

RekNepZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:01 PM

Sorry for the late update.

I took the computer in to the shop again and, sure enough, they found it was a hardware problem. Seems the USB port got fried. Due to there being other issues with the computer as well, I just got a new one

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:23 PM

New can be a good thing - the more expensive fix, sometimes. Hope all of the problems have been solved and all is well now.

Until next time

Stay well and surf Safe

Dick

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users