Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best performance?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 NeonCandy

NeonCandy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:27 AM

Heya!

So i have  a gaming laptop: http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/#tab-tech_specs and i wanted to know what can i do to SAFELY improve performance. If you have any experience how to do it please do tell. Also what is the best option in my case should i use CPE or GPU in my Nvidia settings for Physix? Oh and would it be possible to overclock my proccesor and would it be worth?

Thanks! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 09:56 AM

The link you posted doesn't tell us the specifics on what you have in your laptop, just what you could get in it. If you could, follow these instructions on posting a speccy snapshot of your laptop so we can see exactly what it is you have. There isn't whole lot you can do with a laptop, but once I see what you have I can give some suggestions.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:47 AM

If it's a laptop and you want more performance, turn down the settings.

#4 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:08 AM

The link you posted doesn't tell us the specifics on what you have in your laptop, just what you could get in it. If you could, follow these instructions on posting a speccy snapshot of your laptop so we can see exactly what it is you have. There isn't whole lot you can do with a laptop, but once I see what you have I can give some suggestions.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AdubWZ6lyouS5vYdApOkWPw

Is that any good?

#5 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 11:35 AM

Is that any good?

Oh and can you give me some good antivirus that needs low resources?

#6 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:13 PM

Is that any good?

Oh and can you give me some good antivirus that needs low resources?

I know that BitDefender is not a resource hog. The free version is quite good, in my opinion.

#7 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:29 AM

Sorry I haven't responded until now.

Yes, that speccy is what I needed! I just wanted to see what RAM you had, etc. etc. You have 8GB installed, so upping that probably won't help you much. The best thing you can do to help performance is get an SSD if you don't have one. Install the OS on that and boot times are quicker. Install any programs on it and the load times will be a bit quicker as well.

I also second BitDefender. It is pretty good AV.

As far as just overall performance, clean up anything you don't need to get rid of the clutter. Defragging could also help you out (just DON'T defrag if you have an SSD).

#8 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

Sorry I haven't responded until now.

Yes, that speccy is what I needed! I just wanted to see what RAM you had, etc. etc. You have 8GB installed, so upping that probably won't help you much. The best thing you can do to help performance is get an SSD if you don't have one. Install the OS on that and boot times are quicker. Install any programs on it and the load times will be a bit quicker as well.

I also second BitDefender. It is pretty good AV.

As far as just overall performance, clean up anything you don't need to get rid of the clutter. Defragging could also help you out (just DON'T defrag if you have an SSD).

I have bitdefender running and it says that im using win 8 is this gonna be a problem? I have win 10.

Oh and one more thing. I see a lot of people saying that its very good to increase paging? So what would you recommend for the initial and maximum paging in my case? I want it to have it set for the best perfrmance. 

Edited by NeonCandy, 31 March 2016 - 09:10 AM.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2016 - 11:10 AM

BitDefender saying you are running Windows 8 could just be a bug. I would think it is fine and will probably clear up in future updates.

I do not know enough about Windows paging to help out with that one. Someone may come along that knows more than I do on it. You can do some googeling and see what you find about it, there are probably some good articles out there on Windows paging.

#10 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 10:42 AM

BitDefender saying you are running Windows 8 could just be a bug. I would think it is fine and will probably clear up in future updates.

I do not know enough about Windows paging to help out with that one. Someone may come along that knows more than I do on it. You can do some googeling and see what you find about it, there are probably some good articles out there on Windows paging.

It's a bug, BitDefender recently started supporting Windows 10.

It's a gaming laptop, defragging will not help gaming performance. Deleting files will also not help performance. An SSD makes a big difference in load time, not so much with framerate.

#11 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:10 PM

It's a bug, BitDefender recently started supporting Windows 10.

It's a gaming laptop, defragging will not help gaming performance. Deleting files will also not help performance. An SSD makes a big difference in load time, not so much with framerate.

Yeah but i only care about fps not load time, i dont care if the game loads 1s or 10min if that means the performance is good :P

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:23 PM

Yes, you are correct it will only help overall performance.

NeonCandy, not much you can do to improve FPS with a laptop. It is what it is. You can turn down settings to get better frame times, but that is about it.

#13 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

Yes, you are correct it will only help overall performance.

NeonCandy, not much you can do to improve FPS with a laptop. It is what it is. You can turn down settings to get better frame times, but that is about it.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/609831/windows-10-running-slower-after-clean-install/ here i explain what i want to do more precisely :)

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 April 2016 - 06:16 PM

Because NeonCandy has started a new topic, which I have just moved to the Win 10 section since this appears to be a Windows problem, to avoid confusion this topic is now closed.

The link in the OP's last post will take you to the currently active one.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users