Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast Modem. Slow Computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 carlosbaerga

carlosbaerga

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

I have a Powerspec with a cable modem and Windows XP. A couple of weeks ago, after 6 months of no problems, my computer started operating excruciatingly slow. It would take forever to load up pages, would force me to left click on pages several times before they would even begin to load up, etc. I ran virus scans and spyware and didn't pick up anything. Still the slow computer remained. I finally tried System Restore, as I just wanted my fast connection back. Same thing. Finally, after a few days, I totally lost connection to the internet and was getting the generic 169 (I think?) IP address when I checked to see what it was sending to the modem. I took my computer in to where I purchased it, and they had no problems surfing the web. I had contacted the cable company that I got the modem from and they did not see any problems with the modem from their end. However, I convinced them that I wanted to try a new one and picked one up from their offices the next day.

Sure enough, the internet was fantastic with this new modem. Fast, no problems, etc. Now, however, after a couple of weeks, the same problem has crept up. Surfing the internet has become an excruciating process. I check the task manager, but it does not appear that any processes are running behind the scenes (although thats what it seems like is happening). I disabled all anti-virus. I again checked for spyware and adware and came up clean.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I run a long 15 foot piece of cable from the wall connection to the modem on my desk. Could this cable be bad and is it slowly wearing down the modem - causing it to gradually get worse and worse? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can clear my entire hard drive if necessary as I only use this computer to surf the net. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

This one is a real poser - that's for sure!

Replacing the cable is one option - but I just can't see a piece of cable causing problems like this.

It seems to me that this is a problem with your networking protocols - so you might want to try deleting the current connection and creating a new one from scratch (using the Wizard).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

From what you have written there is no evidence that there is a problem with your computer.

You had a problem, removed the computer from your home and hooked it up to the internet at a different location - no problems. Still having a problem at home you replaced the modem and had no more issues with the internet connection - clearly the issue was with the router.

There is nothing in your post to tell me that today there is a problem with your computer. It seems to be the same issue. Probably modem related.

About the only way to test is to use a different computer on your modem and see if it has a problem. Or, take your computer elsewhere again and hook it up to see if it can connect ok. Those tests would isolate the problem. Of course you could just replace the modem again, I don't usually like replacing things without knowing FOR SURE where the problem lies exactly, but in your case it points pretty strongly to another modem issue.

There are certain modems that have issues. Even if new.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Seth_z

Seth_z

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:56 PM

Sure enough, the internet was fantastic with this new modem. Fast, no problems, etc. Now, however, after a couple of weeks, the same problem has crept up. Surfing the internet has become an excruciating process. I check the task manager, but it does not appear that any processes are running behind the scenes (although thats what it seems like is happening). I disabled all anti-virus. I again checked for spyware and adware and came up clean.

I sort of have the same problem. I bought a new modem and it worked for a while, now it does in and out. When I called the cable company they said it was fine on their end. What there telling me now is they may need to come install a brand new line coming into the house. A few factors led them to this, I don't know if they apply to you (oh and i've had cable internet for a year or two with no problems before this). They said it could be because the cable line coming into my house has been here for ages. And I think it might be because I have it spliced so much it isn't even funny.

Do you have your cable spliced anywhere? (like also have cable tv) If so, try going to the spliter and switching the cable that goes to your TV with the one that goes to your modem (ie if it's a two way spliter and you have the one on the left going to the TV and the one on the right going to the modem, switch them so the one on the left goes to the modem and the other the TV) or just plan out replace the splitter, yeah sounds stupid but this is what they told me to do, and it did work for a couple weeks with no problem (I just replace the who splitter, it was a two-way so it cost like 5 bucks). Also, note I am talking about the regular cables only not the ethernet cables. After you do that you need to unplug your modem, and unscrew the cable form it for about one minute (dont know if the unscrewing is a must but it cant hurt) after reconnect it all and plug it in and let it connect see if that helps (also this is the point to restart your router if applicable). If in about 5 minutes still slow or no connection then your going to need to try the cable company again :thumbsup:

ALSO please make sure you write down what you do, if they do come out, you don't want them to try and say its something you did...because they will wether or not it was if they can find a reason to, so re-hook it up the way they had it (including their old parts).

I'm only asking you to switch the wires at the spliter should only been a one minute process unscrew one..screw it into the one next to it, dont complete rewire anything lol, unless you want to put in all new cables or something :-|

#5 carlosbaerga

carlosbaerga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

Thank you all for your help. Unfortunately, nothing has worked for very long. My computer shows flashes of speed, but ultimately always falls back into this glacier-esque production. I am going to buy a new splitter soon (just changing the wires didnt work) and also need to convince my cable company that I need a new modem yet again. Thanks again, though, for all your great suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users