Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install service packs or Windows updates

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jhoybs

jhoybs

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:03 AM

I was referred to the Vista forum by 'nasdaq' from the malware forum.  After working with the PC, he stated that the system contains no malware that is preventing updates.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608536/vista-not-accepting-updates-blocking-avast-web-shield/

I'm working on a Vista 32-bit PC which won't accept any updates.  Windows Updates appear to be stuck - any updates are rolled back with the error of them "not being configured properly".

I tried running the Windows Update troubleshooter and it immediately popped up an error "Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred".  Next, I followed the instructions to disable startup programs & services (clean boot) and then install the update - it failed with an error code of 80070BC9.  So far, searching for fixes for that error code have led to failed attempts.

When I try to install SP1 manually, I get a message that "the installation cannot proceed until your computer is restarted".  After I restart and try to install SP1 again, I get the same restart message (ie: loop).  I've tried to do a 'sfc /scannow' at the cmd prompt in various places, but it basically states there "is a system repair pending which requires a reboot to complete" (ie: another loop).

I also ran the update readiness tool and that did complete without errors, but the outcomes above still apply.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

After a week of investigation, I stumbled upon this link:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-windows-vista-stuck-in-configuring-updates-cycle-637425.html#post3677630

I now have sfc /scannow working even though I still get unrepairable files out of the tool (even after chkdsk).  I'm going to try installing the service packs next.

#3 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2016 - 04:47 PM

No go - SP1 won't install.

#4 JacobVR

JacobVR

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:01 PM

If you have tweaked and changed the boot screen or the log on screen of your laptop the SP1 may not install. In that case restore the default screen and try again.

#5 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:18 AM

It doesn't appear to have a custom boot or log on screen, but thanks for replying!

I think I'm giving up - I've worked on this PC for 2-3 weeks and I can't get SP1 to install.  I informed the PC's owner (a friend I work with) that it is not secure since we can't install any service packs or updates.  The only way to fix it is to reload Windows (no disk was provided, only a recovery partition) - there are too many programs installed on here that would be lost if I did that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users